Today I pushed the limit on a stovetop popper: 19 ounces of greens.
To save all that work turning the handle with that big load I put a 50 rpm
gear motor to turn the paddle.
After about 12:30 minutes when the beans were steaming good the motor cut
out, so I cut the burner, stopped the timer and reconstituted the wind-up
handle. Lit the burner again, restarted the timer and wound and wound and
At about 21:50 mins reached 1st crack, rolling 1st 30 secs later, 2nd in
another 2mins and rolling 2nd shortly after, dump shortly after that into a
sieve over a fan. Tossed the beans between the sieve and a collander. The
2nd crack continued for at leat a half minute more. Took about 3 minutes to
get the beans where they could be touched. Chaff all over me. :-)
Inspection showed an uneven roast but it smelled great. Quite a few viennas
in the results but also quite a few at city.
The motor revived after it cooled down. The thermal cut-out must have done
its thing. I had tried the motor under no load previously on the bench and
noted that it got really hot around a thick short turn on the core after it
had been running for about 5 mins. I figured it would last the roast in the
cool of outdoors. I didn't know about the thermal cut-out. Funny that it
gets hot on no load. Its a synchronous induction. Hmmmm. It can take the
load no problem.
We cupped the result and although very dark it was to our liking, smooth
with lots of complexity and a great lingering after taste. Sorry I'm not up
on the cupping terminology...
Anyway here are some pictures of the setup and the result: a pound of