HomeRoast Digest


Topic: TORX Tamper Resistant drivers - weird tool question (21 msgs / 525 lines)
1) From: ginny
sears sucks!

2) From: Gene Smith
Okay, my nifty new Capresso Team grinder/dripbrew machine is put together
with something I have just discovered are called TORX Tamper Resistant
screws.  They require a Torx driver with a hole in its shaft to clear a pin
that sticks up in the center of the screw slot.  Can anyone suggest a good
source of cheap drivers for this item?  I'm more interested in cheap than
good because I don't reckon I'll use the silly things more than once a
year, tops, anyway.  I can't imagine actually wearing one of the silly
things out!
Gene Smith
threading the wild learning curve, in Houston

3) From: Les
You can find them at any auto parts store.
 Les
 On 7/2/05, Gene Smith  wrote: 
<Snip>
n
<Snip>

4) From: Gary Townsend
On 7/2/05, Gene Smith  wrote:
<Snip>
in
<Snip>
d
<Snip>
Gene, 
I think that this is what you are refering to:http://www.tamperproof.com(hope the link works, I googled "snakeyes" )  ;-)

5) From: Gene Smith
<Snip>
Yep, them's the little bastids...you agree with Les that I'll find the 
drivers at "any auto parts store"?
Gene Smith
threading the wild learning curve, in Houston

6) From: Michael Dhabolt
Gene
 Call around to auto parts stores Schucks, Napa and whatever other ones you=
 
have locally. I can't for the life of me remember where I got my set. If it=
 
is an immediate problem a small punch of the appropriate size and whack it=
 
hard enough to bend the little pin in the middle - several times in 
different directions will break the pin - after removing the results of the=
 
carnage you can use a regular Torx tool. If I have time and think of it, I=
 
usually break off the pins in all of the tamper proof one while I have the=
 
item apart - even if you have the right tool, finding it sometimes is a 
problem. My tool box could use a floor space upgrade - and a good organizin=
g 
- after every project.
 Mike (just plain)
 On 7/2/05, Gene Smith  wrote: 
<Snip>
n
<Snip>

7) From: Gary Townsend
<Snip>
 
<Snip>
This place has tools along with bits for removing those pesky security
screws...tamper resistant...hah!!
Try a drill bit and a small "easy out" and replace the security screw
with a normal screw... Craftsman has a set that didn't cost me too
much...I can't remember how much it cost but I don't think it was too
much.
Gary

8) From: Gary Townsend
Ooops!http://www.accuratescrew.com/;-)

9) From: Tom Ulmer
There used to be a decent cheap tool store over of Harwin... Tool Traders or
something.

10) From: miKe mcKoffee
Cheap sets are readily available on eBay, for example:http://tinyurl.com/7fkdlmiKe">http://tinyurl.com/74mbxhttp://tinyurl.com/b3w9lhttp://tinyurl.com/7fkdlmiKe
From: "Gene Smith" 
Sent: Saturday, July 02, 2005 5:24 PM
<Snip>

11) From: miKe mcKoffee
Hmmm, tiny died. Just eBay search "security torx". Buy it now 33pc sets $5, 
100pc sets $13 etc.
miKe
From: "miKe mcKoffee" 
Sent: Saturday, July 02, 2005 6:10 PM
<Snip>

12) From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Scott_Kou=E9?=
--Apple-Mail-2-315553755
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charsetO-8859-1;
	format=flowed
A real last ditch but I have seen them removed with the right size 
standard screwdriver (or one modified to fit) if it's only in plastic, =
by jamming it between the stud in the center and the side.  It's not an =
approved technique but if tour desperate.  TORX are not that hard to 
find but the security ones might be.
SK
On Jul 2, 2005, at 5:27 PM, Michael Dhabolt wrote:
<Snip>
<Snip>
my 
<Snip>
<Snip>
<Snip>
<Snip>
<Snip>
could 
<Snip>
Resistant
<Snip>
clear 
<Snip>
suggest a 
<Snip>
cheap 
<Snip>
a
<Snip>
silly
<Snip>
--Apple-Mail-2-315553755
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Type: text/enriched;
	charsetO-8859-1
A real last ditch but I have seen them removed with the right size
standard screwdriver (or one modified to fit) if it's only in plastic,
by jamming it between the stud in the center and the side.  It's not
an approved technique but if tour desperate.  TORX are not that hard
to find but the security ones might be.
SK
On Jul 2, 2005, at 5:27 PM, Michael Dhabolt wrote:
Gene
 
Call around to auto parts stores Schucks, Napa and whatever other ones
you have locally.  I can't for the life of me remember where I got my
set.  If it is an immediate problem a small punch of the appropriate
size and whack it hard enough to bend the little pin in the middle -
several times in different directions will break the pin - after
removing the results of the carnage you can use a regular Torx tool. 
If I have time and think of it, I usually break off the pins in all of
the tamper proof one while I have the item apart - even if you have
the right tool, finding it sometimes is a problem.  My tool box could
use a floor space upgrade - and a good organizing - after every
project.
 
Mike (just plain)
 
On 7/2/05, Gene Smith
<<0000,0000,EEEEgene> wrote:
Okay, my nifty new Capresso Team grinder/dripbrew machine is put
together
with something I have just discovered are called TORX Tamper
Resistant
screws.  They require a Torx driver with a hole in its shaft to =
clear
a pin
that sticks up in the center of the screw slot.  Can anyone suggest =
a
good
source of cheap drivers for this item?  I'm more interested in cheap
than 
good because I don't reckon I'll use the silly things more than once a
year, tops, anyway.  I can't imagine actually wearing one of the =
silly
things out!
Gene Smith
threading the wild learning curve, in Houston
homeroast mailing list
=
0000,0000,EEEhttp://lists.sweetmarias.com/mailman/l=istinfo/homeroast
To change your personal list settings (digest options, vacations,
unsvbscribes) go to
=
0000,0000,EEEhttp://sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.ht=ml#personalsettings
=
--Apple-Mail-2-315553755--

13) From: Alchemist John
This is where I got my set.  I bloody hate that they put this stuff 
together like this.  Just stupid.
At 18:10 7/2/2005 -0700, you wrote:
<Snip>
John Nanci
AlChemist at large
Zen Roasting , Blending & Espresso pulling by Gestalthttp://www.chocolatealchemy.com/

14) From: Larry Dorman
If you need the little bitty bastards, then go to Sears.  They have a
10 bit screwdriver that contains all of the little ones which also
telecopes to reach deep sockets.  It's less than $10 and works great. 
The bigger ones are available at auto stores, big box retailers,
lowes, etc.
LarryD

15) From: Erik Gilling
Gene Smith wrote:
<Snip>
In defense of torx heads, I really like them.  They require almost now 
downward force to keep the bit in the head thus making them virtually 
impossible to strip.  I actually replace phillips screws with torx or 
hex headed screws in equipment I service regularly to avoid stripping.
More, yet un-mentioned, places to find torx drivers are Home Depot (and 
Lowe's I'd assume) and Fry's (if you live in CA.)  I got a nice Wiha 
http://www.wihatools.com)set at Fry's.
-Erik

16) From: Scott Barron
On Jul 5, 2005, at 2:53 PM, Erik Gilling wrote:
<Snip>
I agree.  The ones I hate are these screws with a triangle head.  My 
Toastmaster had 4 of those in there holding them together.  I surfed 
around and couldn't really find any bits, so I just drilled them out 
and replaced them with phillips head.
Someone in the know ... are these types of "security" bits used to hide 
"trade secrets" (it's just a hot air popper ...) or to keep the 
consumer from getting in there and burning his house down?  I'd think 
the latter, because in the end nothing can stop a man with some resolve 
and power tools.
-Scott

17) From: STephen niezgoda
Not mentioned in the torx thread is that tamper resistant torx drivers have only five wings where regular torx has 6.  This was designed to prevent people from just knocking the pin out of a regular tork screw with a small punch and then removing the screw with a regular torx driver.
 
Just be lucky we have yet to see tri-wing and some of the many other specialty aerospace fastners on consumer goods yet.  There are a myriad of new screw designs that sort of look like phillips or torx but arn't.
 
Steve N
Erik Gilling  wrote:
Gene Smith wrote:
<Snip>
In defense of torx heads, I really like them. They require almost now 
downward force to keep the bit in the head thus making them virtually 
impossible to strip. I actually replace phillips screws with torx or 
hex headed screws in equipment I service regularly to avoid stripping.
More, yet un-mentioned, places to find torx drivers are Home Depot (and 
Lowe's I'd assume) and Fry's (if you live in CA.) I got a nice Wiha 
http://www.wihatools.com)set at Fry's.
-Erik---------------------------------
Yahoo! Mail for Mobile
 Take Yahoo! Mail with you! Check email on your mobile phone.

18) From: Pecan Jim Gundlach
--Apple-Mail-25-624606901
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset-ASCII;
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed
What I usually do with these is take the Dremel with a metal cutting  
blade and cut a slot across the top so I can use a regular flat blade  
screw driver.
       Jim Gundlach
On Jul 6, 2005, at 7:56 AM, STephen niezgoda wrote:
<Snip>
--Apple-Mail-25-624606901
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Type: text/html;
	charsetO-8859-1
What I usually do with these =
is take the Dremel with a metal cutting blade and cut a slot across the =
top so I can use a regular flat blade screw driver.      Jim =
Gundlach
On Jul 6, 2005, at 7:56 AM, STephen niezgoda =
wrote:
Not mentioned in the torx thread is that tamper = resistant torx drivers have only five wings where regular torx has 6.  = This was designed to prevent people from just knocking the pin out of a = regular tork screw with a small punch and then removing the screw with a = regular torx driver.   Just be lucky we have yet = to see tri-wing and some of the many other specialty aerospace fastners = on consumer goods yet.  There are a myriad of new screw designs that = sort of look like phillips or torx but arn't.   = Steve N Erik Gilling <konkers> = wrote: Gene Smith = wrote: >> Gene, >> I think that this is what you = are refering to: >> http://www.tamperproof.com>= > > Yep, them's the little bastids...you agree with Les = that I'll find the > drivers at "any auto parts store"? In = defense of torx heads, I really like them. They require almost now = downward force to keep the bit in the head thus making them = virtually impossible to strip. I actually replace phillips screws = with torx or hex headed screws in equipment I service regularly to = avoid stripping. More, yet un-mentioned, places to find torx = drivers are Home Depot (and Lowe's I'd assume) and Fry's (if you = live in CA.) I got a nice Wiha (http://www.wihatools.com)set at = Fry's. -Erik = homeroast mailing list http://li=sts.sweetmarias.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast To change your = personal list settings (digest options, vacations, unsvbscribes) go to = http://=sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html#personalsettings
Yahoo! Mail for Mobile Take Yahoo! Mail with you! Check email on your mobile = phone. = --Apple-Mail-25-624606901--

19) From: Randy Roy
They are very abundant on ebay.
Randy
Gene Smith wrote:
<Snip>

20) From: Marc
Try here:http://www.sciplus.com/Item # 91938  SECURITY BITS/DRIVER  $5.95 / EACH
"If you have to tamper with tamper-proof screws, you'll like this set
that includes (1) screwdriver handle, (1) extender, (1) magnetic bit
holder and (26) bits, arranged in a permanent storage case. The bits
include (4) tri-wings, (4) spanners, (6) hex, (9) torx and (3)
Phillips. Sizes and styles are clearly marked. Unbelievably
inexpensive."
-Marc
On 7/7/05, Randy Roy  wrote:
<Snip>
er
<Snip>
an
<Snip>
ribes) go tohttp://sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html#personalsettings<Snip>

21) From: Gene Smith
<Snip>
A great big THANK YOU! to everyone who responded to my query.  Turns out 
that "any auto parts store" was great advice.  Went to our local AutoZone 
and scored a 75 piece driver set, including an extensive set of TORX mit 
mittel hole, for 15 bucks...which was a good deal because I didn't have to 
pay shipping for an ebay item and got more iron instead.
Gene Smith
who already ripped that puppy apart, in Houston


HomeRoast Digest