HomeRoast Digest


Topic: Best Coffee to Roast with short rest (10 msgs / 441 lines)
1) From: TERRY TITSWORTH
I need some help. With the recent rains I was unable to roast for the guys
at work yesterday. I will have to roast tonight even if I have to roast
inside the trailer without venting out. Now the problem. I don't want to use
the Harrar Lot #19 with only 3 days rest, but I don't have anything else
rested. I have Costa RIca Conq., Guatamala Huehue and Columbia Supremo.
Which would still have a good flavor with only an overnight rest? Most of my
coffees I have been letting go 3 to 4 days (with exception of the
Harrar-goes 5 days). I am using an I-Roast-2.
All help appreciated...
-- 
Start HOT and work your way Down...
Peppers AND Coffee.
[|:{O....[|:{U...

2) From: Gerald and Beth Newsom
This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
Terry, you are a far more experienced roaster than I am (I've been to =
your website), so I would think you would be closer to knowing the =
answer than I.  I've been roasting for six months now and, until this =
week, had never intentionally allowed any beans to sit around longer =
than three days.  Now that I know that quite a few others think that =
four days rest is optimal I've started resting them a little longer (No =
startling revelations after one week.)  However, I HAVE had the =
Guatemala Huehuetenango several times with just an overnight's rest and =
it was excellent!  This was the coffee that finally led me to appreciate =
the Kenyas more since it screams citrus less loudly than they.  :-)
Gerald

3) From: TERRY TITSWORTH
ER, UM, UH....WRONG TERRY...
I've been to Mr. Stockdales (right guy?) site also, but that Ain't me..
On 7/11/06, Gerald and Beth Newsom  wrote:
<Snip>
-- 
Start HOT and work your way Down...
Peppers AND Coffee.
[|:{O....[|:{U...

4) From: Gerald and Beth Newsom
This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
LOL  Sorry, Terry!  I need to pay closer attention to those last names.

5) From: Les
Of those listed, I would go with the Columbia Supremo.  Uganda and
Columbia seem to be good on little rest.
Les
On 7/11/06, TERRY TITSWORTH  wrote:
<Snip>

6) From: TERRY TITSWORTH
Doooh...I just finished off my Uganda last week...so it looks like the
Columbia..
Thanks Les...
TerryT
On 7/11/06, Les  wrote:
<Snip>
-- 
Start HOT and work your way Down...
Peppers AND Coffee.
[|:{O....[|:{U...

7) From: Terry Stockdale
I'm bad about resting.  First, I don't let the coffee rest and then I 
let it rest too long because I  roast too much at one time.
I usually roast when I'm out or virtually out of beans for my drip 
coffee (Cuisinart DCC-1200).  I'll roast three or four 12oz batches 
-- and I'm the only coffee drinker...This usually lasts me 2 weeks 
(I'm not drinking as many espressos now).
The next day, I'll start on one of the several coffees and let the rest, rest.
If I've got several fresh batches (and nothing that's rested), I'll 
go with the Kenya, a Panama or a Nicaragua.  I can appreciate its 
taste change across the next few days.
Looking back, I see my tastes have shifted towards those brighter 
coffees -- it's been a long time since I've ordered a Sumatra 
Mandheling, Java, Brazilian or other earthy coffee.  I almost never 
blend coffees -- I stick with single origins for drip, vac and 
espresso (except for purchased preblends).  BTW, I'm one of those 
that likes Monkey for drip coffee, too.
Terry
--
Terry Stockdale -- Baton Rouge, LA
My Coffee Pages:http://www.terryscomputertips.comAt 12:57 PM 7/11/2006, you wrote:">http://www.terrystockdale.com/coffeeTerry's Computer Tips: http://www.terryscomputertips.comAt 12:57 PM 7/11/2006, you wrote:
<Snip>

8) From: Sandy Andina
--Apple-Mail-149-495059482
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset-ASCII;
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed
My overly long rests are of espresso beans, and are also inadvertent,  
usually the result of roasting, then going out of town, and coming  
home to more of the previous batch being usable than I'd thought-- 
resulting in having to wait a little longer to use the newer batch  
(waste not, want not).  With drip beans, though, my family pounces on  
them as fast as they can cool.
On Jul 12, 2006, at 5:30 PM, Terry Stockdale wrote:
<Snip>
Sandy
www.sandyandina.com
--Apple-Mail-149-495059482
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Type: text/html;
	charsetO-8859-1
My overly long rests are of =
espresso beans, and are also inadvertent, usually the result of =
roasting, then going out of town, and coming home to more of the =
previous batch being usable than I'd thought--resulting in having to =
wait a little longer to use the newer batch (waste not, want not).  =
With drip beans, though, my family pounces on them as fast as they can =
cool.
On Jul 12, 2006, at 5:30 PM, Terry Stockdale =
wrote:
I'm bad about resting.  First, I don't let the coffee = rest and then I let it rest too long because I  roast too much at one = time. I usually roast when I'm out or virtually out of = beans for my drip coffee (Cuisinart DCC-1200).  I'll roast three or four 12oz = batches -- and I'm the only coffee drinker...This usually lasts me 2 = weeks (I'm not drinking as many espressos now). The next = day, I'll start on one of the several coffees and let the rest, = rest. If I've got several fresh batches (and nothing = that's rested), I'll go with the Kenya, a Panama or a Nicaragua.  I can appreciate its taste = change across the next few days. Looking back, I see my tastes = have shifted towards those brighter coffees -- it's been a long time = since I've ordered a Sumatra Mandheling, Java, Brazilian or other earthy = coffee.  I almost never = blend coffees -- I stick with single origins for drip, vac and espresso = (except for purchased preblends). = BTW, I'm one of those that likes Monkey for drip coffee, = too. Terry--Terry Stockdale -- Baton Rouge, LAMy Coffee Pages: http://www.terrystockdale.co=m/coffeeTerry's Computer Tips:  http://www.terryscomputertips.c=om At 12:57 PM 7/11/2006, you wrote: LOL  Sorry, Terry!  I need to pay closer = attention to those last names.----- = Original Message -----From: <mailto:terryatrae>TE= RRY TITSWORTHTo: <mailto:homeroast= etmarias.com>homeroast= s.comSent: Tuesday, July 11, 2006 = 12:39 PMSubject: Re: +Best Coffee to = Roast with short restER, UM, UH....WRONG = TERRY...I've been to Mr. Stockdales = (right guy?) site also, but that Ain't me.. On 7/11/06, Gerald and Beth = Newsom <<mailto:gnewsomjr= >gnewsomjr> = wrote:Terry, you are a far more = experienced roaster than I am (I've been to your website), so I would = think you would be closer to knowing the answer than I.  I've been roasting for six = months now and, until this week, had never intentionally allowed any = beans to sit around longer than three days.  Now that I know that quite a = few others think that four days rest is optimal I've started resting = them a little longer (No startling revelations after one week.)  However, I HAVE had the = Guatemala Huehuetenango several times with just an overnight's rest and = it was excellent!  This = was the coffee that finally led me to appreciate the Kenyas more since = it screams citrus less loudly than they.  :-) ----- Original Message = -----From: <mailto:terryatrae>TE= RRY TITSWORTHTo: <mailto:homeroast= etmarias.com>homeroastSent: = Tuesday, July 11, 2006 12:05 PMSubject: = +Best Coffee to Roast with short rest I need some help. With the = recent rains I was unable to roast for the guys at work yesterday. I = will have to roast tonight even if I have to roast inside the trailer = without venting out.Now the problem. I don't = want to use the Harrar Lot #19 with only 3 days rest, but I don't have = anything else rested. I have Costa RIca Conq., Guatamala Huehue and = Columbia Supremo. Which would still have a good flavor with only an = overnight rest? Most of my coffees I have been letting go 3 to 4 days = (with exception of the Harrar-goes 5 days). I am using an = I-Roast-2.All help = appreciated... Start HOT and work your way = Down...Peppers AND Coffee.[|:{O....[|:{U... Start HOT and work your way = Down...Peppers AND Coffee.[|:{O....[|:{U... homeroast mailing listhttp://li=sts.sweetmarias.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroastTo change your personal list settings (digest = options, vacations, unsvbscribes) go to http://=sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html#personalsettings = = --Apple-Mail-149-495059482--

9) From: Got Aloha??
I think any coffee can be excellent with an overnight rest, there are  
a few exceptions, but coffee that is too fresh is always better than  
old stale coffee.  Any of the coffees you have mentioned should do  
just fine with an overnight rest, even the harrar (my favorite is  
harrar just out of the roaster)  for future reference, yirgs do great  
with little or no rest.
best of luck
Justin
houstini
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only  
people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - 
Hunter S. Thompson

10) From: Dave Nielsen
Terry,
I know it is not one you listed as having in your stash but for future
reference Ethiopian Ghimbi does well with an overnight rest.  The key
though is that it really is what tastes best to you!  Some of the
coffees mentioned in this thread as being short rest coffees I would
use only as a last resort without adequate rest, they do much, much
better with specific rest periods, but again that is my taste buds,
YMMV.
--Dave


HomeRoast Digest