This is a multi-part message in MIME format. The more I think about it the more sense it makes. 1. There is only one reservoir 2 The reservoir fills both boilers and supplies water to the HX. 3 Therefore adding citric acid to the reservoir and draining through the = group head, the steam wand and the hot water wand should clean the = entire system. 4 On the Brewtus one must remember to remove the water softener before = decaling.
Barry, I don't remember if the Brute has boiler drains or not. If it does, uplug the machine (don't want the heater on with an empty boiler) and drain the boilers - then refill with descaling solution. Check out what your owners manual says about filling a dry boiler. It goes quicker - - otherwise you are diluting the water already in the boiler with the solution and takes quite a bit of extra solution to get it to full strength in the boiler - it normally takes approx. six to seven boiler volumes of 'feed and bleed' to get the liquid in the boiler to 'pretty close' to the same strength as that of what is being fed to the boiler. An alternative is to do the math (so you get the acid molarity you want in the boiler), and fill from the reservoir with whatever stronger solution of Citric acid is required. Mike (just plain)
Thanks Mike makes sense. Will save your message. Won't need to descale for about another 11 mos. By then you or McKoffee will have come to visit.We can all do it together while I tune my car radio. No truthfully I finally understand and will be able to do it when the time comes.
I just descaled my giotto last night. I picked up some citric acid from the brew store and pulled the water = sensor connection to fill the boiler completely. Things got entertaining when the sensor rod came up with the connector = once. After a few hours I flushed it all out and got a nice greenish solution. = (from the copper) I'll probably run a few more gallons through tonight. --this is alot faster with my giant rotary pump.
any more detail on giotto cleaning? :) im a bit hesitant to try, though im sure its not too hard. where is the water sensor? one of the connections on the pressurestat? howd you know the boiler was filled? did u open the steam wand a bit and waited till some water dripped out? thx!! Quoting "Obrien, Haskell W." : <Snip>
Leo, I'll toss together some instructions in a few minutes.
As promised.http://biobug.org/coffee/giotto/descaling/It's pretty wordy, but hopefully it'll make sense. I didn't proof it very hard, but all the ideas are there. Let me know if you see anything missing. Will
nice site! ill browse through it tonight, but you need details on your mods. :) i just bought a float kit and hope it will work nicely, def tired of filling all the time, although the drain is much worse! thanks for the writeup! Quoting "Obrien, Haskell W." : <Snip>
As soon as my last few bits show up with the fed-ex man, I'll be writing up a how-to on the mods. I'll be published around Tuesday.
Thought id add a few comments here, since you were nice enough to provide the writeup.. :) I used 2 tablespoons of citric acid, 2 tsp didn't seem to be nearly enough to me. I didn't open the steam valve when filling the boiler with solution. Actually, I tried opening it, it didn't do much since there wasn't much heat/pressure left from emptying the boiler. It was still easy to tell when the boiler was completely filled, the water came out of the water sensor hole. After it filled, I left the machine on, let it sit a bit, then drained off some of the water (half a cup maybe) from the water valve. While it was on, I ran solution through the grouphead a couple of times, as well as through the water and steam valves. Some black crap came through the steam valve! After running through the steam and water valves, I refilled the boiler with solution until it came through the water sensor, bled it off a bit again, and let it sit, on, for about 2.5 hours. The heat wasn't holding to my satisfaction with it off. I emptied from all valves, the water came out with a blueish tint. Flushed with 2 resevoirs worth of water, rinsed the resevoir, then refilled it twice from my filter/plumbed line and drained. It tasted great and by the end came out clear. Ran a dump shot, and done! Didn't see much except from the steam wand, but the machine is running better it seems. Not working as hard, sounds more quiet, when pulling shots. Thanks for the writeup!