HomeRoast Digest


Topic: roasting blends or not (8 msgs / 283 lines)
1) From: Dave Ehrenkranz
If one is going to blend to beans should one roast each bean separately 
and then combine the beans or combine the raw beans and then roast the 
mix?
Certainly the latter is easier but since different beans roast at 
different speed maybe they should be roasted separately.
dave

2) From: Brett Mason
Les has done a one-bean roast in his drum.  I can only imagine that roasting
each bean separately could take a few days, and lots of fuel.  On the other
hand, the control would be remarkable!
Just kidding,
Brett
On 11/3/06, Dave Ehrenkranz  wrote:
<Snip>
-- 
Cheers,
Bretthttp://homeroast.freeservers.com

3) From: Peter Zulkowski
Hi Dave,
Some folks say it is okay to blend before you roast, but that really 
depends on the beans you are blending.
You are right, some beans do roast much differently than others.
I tried combining some Panama with my Harrar before a roast, and the 
Panama got way too dark.
When I tried roasting it separately I found that it reached first and 
second crack at much lower temps than the Horse.
Hope this helps,
PeterZ
Dave Ehrenkranz wrote:
<Snip>

4) From: Les
Brett,
ROTFL!  You should have given a spew warning, I am glad the Americano of
Idido and Yellow Bourbon was gone that I brought to work.  Now to answer
Dave's question, hey a fellow mac user!  If the beans are about the same
size and density and you don't take them to a different roast level for your
blend, pre-roast blending is easier.  However, as a homeroaster, it is nice
to have 2 or more types of beans ready to go and do some mixing an
matching.  Right now  I have 5 different beans roasted and I roasted the
Yellow Bourbon this time just for espresso.  It will make a great SO, but I
plan on blending it with some of my other beans during the next few days as
well.  Next time I roast, I plan on roasting the Yellow Bourbon just for
drip, a light city roast.  One of the great things about home roasting is
you are in control!
Les
On 11/3/06, Brett Mason  wrote:
<Snip>

5) From: Eddie Dove
ROTFLMBO!!!
Dave,
If you are blending for yourself, I recommend roasting each to perfection
then blending as you wish.  That way you can make a blend and test it, tweak
it, test it ... or still have them as SOs ... as the mood strikes you.  My
$.02.
Eddie
On 11/3/06, Brett Mason  wrote:
<Snip>

6) From: Dave Ehrenkranz
--Apple-Mail-2--390596701
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charsetO-8859-1;
	format=flowed
Les, Eddie, Peter, Brett & others,
Thanks for the input. Makes sense to me. Thus far I have only been 
drinking SOs except when I had very small remains of different beans 
and then would just combine them to roast in my Z&D which now just 
watches when I use the iRoast2. Sure wish I could hear the cracks. I 
think if I listen above the machine (in the hot air flow) I might be 
hearing the cracks as opposed to trying to put my ear close to the 
glass and mostly hear the tinkling of the bean against the glass.
I was amazed the other day when I roasted the Idido Misty Valley and 
actually could notice the blueberry. Still haven't noticed the lemon. I =
just ordered 10 more lbs of the Idido and 2 lbs of Kenya AA Auction Lot =
764- Ndaroini Nyeri which Harvey should deliver next week.
Les, yes I have been using Apples since the very early 80's (1st 
machine was a black Apple II, first Mac was a Mac Plus with 1 meg of 
ram) and Monday my new 24" iMac should arrive with 2 Gigs of rams and 
750 Gig HD. Hard to believe. Am I correct that you are in Roseburg, OR. =
I am looking forward to the day when I can get together with other home =
roasters.
dave
Warren OR (near Ptld)
On Nov 3, 2006, at 4:03 PM, Les wrote:
<Snip>
Americano 
<Snip>
<Snip>
about 
<Snip>
<Snip>
<Snip>
<Snip>
beans 
<Snip>
 
<Snip>
<Snip>
<Snip>
other 
<Snip>
<Snip>
<Snip>
--Apple-Mail-2--390596701
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Type: text/enriched;
	charsetO-8859-1
Les, Eddie, Peter, Brett & others,
Thanks for the input. Makes sense to me. Thus far I have only been
drinking SOs except when I had very small remains of different beans
and then would just combine them to roast in my Z&D which now just
watches when I use the iRoast2. Sure wish I could hear the cracks. I
think if I listen above the machine (in the hot air flow) I might be
hearing the cracks as opposed to trying to put my ear close to the
glass and mostly hear the tinkling of the bean against the glass. 
I was amazed the other day when I roasted the Idido Misty Valley and
actually could notice the blueberry. Still haven't noticed the lemon.
I just ordered 10 more lbs of the Idido and 2 lbs of Kenya AA Auction
Lot 764- Ndaroini Nyeri which Harvey should deliver next week. 
Les, yes I have been using Apples since the very early 80's (1st
machine was a black Apple II, first Mac was a Mac Plus with 1 meg of
ram) and Monday my new 24" iMac should arrive with 2 Gigs of rams and
750 Gig HD. Hard to believe. Am I correct that you are in Roseburg,
OR. I am looking forward to the day when I can get together with other
home roasters.
dave
Warren OR (near Ptld)
 
On Nov 3, 2006, at 4:03 PM, Les wrote:
Brett,
ROTFL!  You should have given a spew warning, I am glad the Americano
of Idido and Yellow Bourbon was gone that I brought to work.  Now to
answer Dave's question, hey a fellow mac user!  If the beans are about
the same size and density and you don't take them to a different roast
level for your blend, pre-roast blending is easier.  However, as a
homeroaster, it is nice to have 2 or more types of beans ready to go
and do some mixing an matching.  Right now  I have 5 different beans
roasted and I roasted the Yellow Bourbon this time just for espresso. 
It will make a great SO, but I plan on blending it with some of my
other beans during the next few days as well.  Next time I roast, I
plan on roasting the Yellow Bourbon just for drip, a light city
roast.  One of the great things about home roasting is you are in
control!
 
Les
 
On 11/3/06, Brett Mason
<<0000,0000,EEEEhomeroast>
wrote: Les has done a one-bean roast in his drum.  I can only imagine
that roasting each bean separately could take a few days, and lots of
fuel.  On the other hand, the control would be remarkable!
Just kidding,
Brett
On 11/3/06, Dave Ehrenkranz
<<0000,0000,EEEEdaveehr> wrote:
If one is going to blend to beans should one roast each bean separately
and then combine the beans or combine the raw beans and then
roast the 
mix?
Certainly the latter is easier but since different beans roast at 
different speed maybe they should be roasted separately.
dave
homeroast mailing list 
=
0000,0000,EEEhttp://lists.sweetmarias.com/mailman/l=istinfo/homeroast
To change your personal list settings (digest options, vacations,
unsvbscribes) go to
=
0000,0000,EEEhttp://sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.ht=ml#personalsettings
-- 
Cheers,
Brett
=
0000,0000,EEEhttp://homeroast.freeservers.com=
--Apple-Mail-2--390596701--

7) From: scott miller
My current thinking on this is to only roast beans together that have like
processing methods: a blend of 2 wet processed beans and 2 dry processed
beans means 2 separate roasts. Obviously you can get down to hair splitting
on whether the moisture contents are similar, but the rough guide of staying
within like processing seems to work for me. This assumes I want beans to
roast for the same amount of time.
I recently did a blend where I wanted the Nicaraguan bean quite dark, so
that was done separately.
cheers,
ScoTTT
On 11/3/06, Dave Ehrenkranz  wrote:
<Snip>

8) From: Brett Mason
Each year I do a Christmas Blend.  This past year was Java Djampit, Brazil
Fazenda & Costa Rice La Candelilla Miel.  I threw them all in together
before roasting, then roasted the quantities I wanted per roast.  Came out
great.
I would expect roasting them separately would better develop the flavor of
each, I just am too undisciplined to do that.  Yet, if you roast separately,
you can create different proportion blends, even in very small amounts, and
really perfect the taste you are looking for...
I roast the beans in groups though...
Brett
On 11/3/06, Dave Ehrenkranz < daveehr> wrote:
<Snip>
-- 
Cheers,
Bretthttp://homeroast.freeservers.com


HomeRoast Digest