HomeRoast Digest


Topic: homeroast digest, Vol 1 #5016 - 27 msgs (2 msgs / 36 lines)
1) From: Clay Spence
On or about 11/10/06, David Schooley  wrote:
<Snip>
(And a bit  more.) Thanks David, and Viki and Kevin for the replies. I tried
a 130 gram batch. It was better, but still a problem. I'll try Kevin's
suggestion of a constant lower temperature, though 385F seems awfully low.
I've never had another bean behave this way, too. The smaller batch size
seemed to give a similar volume of roasted beans to my regular size. I
wonder if it expands more than normal? BTW, I started going by volume
because of monsooned Malabar. That seems to be very low density, so 150
grams was too large a volume for the iRoast. I think whether to go by weight
or volume depends on the beans, though with most it isn't an issue.
Thanks again,
Clay

2) From: Aaron
Some beans seem rougher I guess you could call it and don't travel 
nicely in the Iroast.  This leads to stalls and all kinds of problems.  
ONe thing I have done is, when the beans start jamming up in the chute, 
I twist the top just enough to unlock it so the one end of it lifts up a 
bit, this allows more air to get out / through as it isn't being forced 
through the chaff collector anymore, and most of the times it will get 
the beans moving again.  The temp might drop a bit in the I roast due to 
the increased airflow but considering the original problem it should not 
be that bad of an issue.
I have saved more than one batch of beans this route, and yes, for some 
reason peaberry seems to be the worst culprit for this kind of problem.
Aaron


HomeRoast Digest