HomeRoast Digest


Topic: First cup of 2007 (17 msgs / 563 lines)
1) From: Andy Thomas
For me, it's Sulawesi Toarco, FC roasted on Xmas day,
Brewed in a Chemex. May you all enjoy your coffee this
year as much as I'm enjoying this cup!
Andy
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around http://mail.yahoo.com

2) From: Dean
A crazy blend:  1/2 PuroScuro Blend from a too-short roast combined with 
1/2 Liquid Amber at a very good spot--and now a shot of LA......
Some days it's good to be...
Dean!
Andy Thomas wrote:
<Snip>

3) From: Darliene Stanhope
First cup was Kenya Ndaironi at 5 days rest prepared in a French Press.
Nectar of the gods. Second cup was Mokha Kadir at 7 days rest prepared in a
French Press.
Darliene
On 1/1/07, Dean  wrote:
<Snip>

4) From: Eddie Dove
Brazil Cachoeira Yellow Bourbon
Mexico Organic Nayarit Terruno
Eddie
On 1/1/07, Andy Thomas  wrote:
<Snip>
-- 
My Home Coffee Roasting Blog and Profiles for the Gene Cafehttp://southcoastcoffeeroaster.blogspot.com/

5) From: Jeff Oien
2/3 Donkey Decaf, 1/3 Brazil CoE #2 Dry Process
Afternoon will be 1/3 Java Prince, 2/3 Brazil CoE #2
JeffO

6) From: Tom & Maria - Sweet Maria's Coffee
Hello, and happy new year everyone! I am cupping today, and gearing 
up for everyone coming back tomorrow (well, except Sonny who is stuck 
behind a snowstorm in New Mexico). My first coffee of 07 was a 
Ethiopia Late Harvest Yirg. I think the roast wasn't ideal, maybe too 
fast a bit too dark. It was good but instead of clean citrus, it was 
a bit sweaty tasting. Still, i enjoyed it, and a nice early morning 
dog walk in the bay area fog! A nice way to start things out.
By the way, The Ethiopia Idido Misty Valley should be here by Friday. 
I need to go in the truck to get it. I also have a Yemen Mattari that 
is great at a darker roast (I even put FC+ in the name to emphasize 
the recommended roast on it.) We have some nice Peru coming and 
Colombia 2nd Harvest cup of excellence (not crazy prices too, 
thankfully). So theres a lot on the horizon but it depends on my 
ability to put finishing touches on reviews amidst a massive effort 
to ship out the orders that accumulated since Dec 26. I am behind on 
the list reading too - i had my laptop but was having connection 
problems with its wireless. I also split my cell phone in half 
accidentally yesterday. Could this be an omen for 07? Unsure...
Nice to catch up with the recent posts, and Ken, sorry to hear about 
your unpleasant surprise !
Tom
<Snip>
--
                   "Great coffee comes from tiny roasters"
            Sweet Maria's Home Coffee Roasting  -  Tom & Maria
                      http://www.sweetmarias.com                Thompson Owen george_at_sweetmarias.com
     Sweet Maria's Coffee - 1115 21st Street, Oakland, CA 94607 - USA
             phone/fax: 888 876 5917 - tom_at_sweetmarias.com

7) From: an iconoclast
On 1/1/07, Andy Thomas  wrote:
<Snip>
2/3 India Matadakad Estate Peaberry roasted FC, 1/3 Costa Rica SM
Select Peaberry roasted FC. I, rather, my husband,  roasted a bit
darker than usual this week and am really enjoying it. David Yaeger's
Honduras from the bean swap made me do it, just like beans Sandy sent
last year in the swap. Just got a hankering for darker.  Best after a
good rest. Yummmm.
Take care,
Ann

8) From: Eddie Dove
"Could this be an omen for 07?
Yes ... out with the old, in with the new!
Happy New Year!
Eddie
-- 
My Home Coffee Roasting Blog and Profiles for the Gene Cafehttp://southcoastcoffeeroaster.blogspot.com/On 1/1/07, Tom & Maria - Sweet Maria's Coffee 
wrote:
<Snip>

9) From: Tara Kollas
Mexico FTO Chiapas -Special Lot.  Got it in a sampler pack from SM.  I love
the Mexican coffees as a general rule - nice and balanced with chocolate
undertones.  Actually, I'm about to brew it now - my first coffee was at a
local diner - awful but caffeinated.  Which is about all I require when
trying to wrangle a 3 1/2 year old and 2 year old.
On 1/1/07, Eddie Dove  wrote:
<Snip>

10) From: Michael Wascher
Welcome back!
Let's hope you've had your bad luck ... and that you'll have only good luck
for the rest of 2007!
Have a Happy & Prosperous New Year.
--MikeW
On 1/1/07, Tom & Maria - Sweet Maria's Coffee 
wrote:
<Snip>
-- 
"Of course the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you--if you don't play,
you can't win." --Robert Heinlein

11) From: Sandy Andina
--Apple-Mail-27-399498631
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset-ASCII;
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed
My best friend told me today she used the last of the JBM Mavis Banks  
Mill I roasted for her for Christmas--but since there wasn't enough  
left to grind and make a pot......so she ate them!
On Jan 1, 2007, at 12:40 PM, Eddie Dove wrote:
<Snip>
Sandy
www.sandyandina.com
www.sass-music.com
--Apple-Mail-27-399498631
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Type: text/html;
	charsetO-8859-1
My best friend told me today she =
used the last of the JBM Mavis Banks Mill I roasted for her for =
Christmas--but since there wasn't enough left to grind and make a =
pot......so she ate them!
On Jan 1, 2007, at 12:40 PM, =
Eddie Dove wrote:
Brazil Cachoeira Yellow Bourbon Mexico Organic Nayarit = Terruno Eddie On 1/1/07, = Andy Thomas <adt0611 > = wrote:For me, it's Sulawesi Toarco, FC roasted on Xmas day, Brewed in = a Chemex. May you all enjoy your coffee this year as much as I'm = enjoying this = cup! Andy= Do You Yahoo!? Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam = protection around =http://mail.yahoo.com=__ homeroast mailing list http://li=sts.sweetmarias.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast To change your = personal list settings (digest options, vacations, unsvbscribes) go to = http://=sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html#personalsettings =
-- My Home Coffee = Roasting Blog and Profiles for the Gene Cafe http://southcoastcof=feeroaster.blogspot.com/ Sandywww.sass-music.com
= = --Apple-Mail-27-399498631--

12) From: Les
My first cup of the year was almost not a cup of homeroast!  I got 3 pounds
of Barefoot Roasters coffee as a gift.  It is very very good stuff,  roasted
to perfection and good beans.  However, I had a TV brewed *El Salvador Cup
of Excellence #12 -El Zapote *rested 6 days to start the New Year.  This was
roasted to a very nice full city.  I just love the Pacamara bean.  This was
a rich bold cup.  The mouth is just full of flavor with every sip.  It is a
nice silky smooth cup with an awesome chocolate aftertaste.  I am again
reminded of the great debt of gratitude we owe our host, Sweet Marias for
bringing us superior beans to work with.  Thanks Tom and Maria and the rest
of the gang for your great service.
Les
On 1/1/07, Tara Kollas  wrote:
<Snip>

13) From: Larry English
Our first cup was Yirgacheffe Oromia, FC, very lively and delightful.  This
afternoon its a 40% Yirg with 60% Panamaria Farm Decaf, also very fine.
Looks like a good year coming up!
Larry
-- 
"You can't know the unknowable, but you can do the doable." - Jon Carroll

14) From: Clifton Burkett
--Apple-Mail-1-405950867
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset-ASCII;
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed
My first cup of 2007 was some beans I roasted late Christmas Eve.  A  
mix of Sulawesi Toraja. Ethiopian Harar, a Brazil Matas De Minas and  
some Monsooned malabar roasted in the HotTop. Mixed post roast. Later  
in the day I had some JBM also roasted in the HotTop as press-pot.
Clif - SomeWhere in Florida
with Rocky the Cardi and Garfield the Tabby
Odie PWC at the Bridge 01/18/2006http://www.freewebs.com/aesk/inmemoriam.htm--Apple-Mail-1-405950867
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Type: text/html;
	charsetO-8859-1

My first cup of 2007 was = some beans I roasted late Christmas Eve.  A mix of Sulawesi Toraja. = Ethiopian Harar, a Brazil Matas De Minas and some Monsooned malabar = roasted in the HotTop. Mixed post roast. Later in the day I had some = JBM also roasted in the HotTop as press-pot.
Clif - SomeWhere in Floridawith Rocky the Cardi and Garfield the = TabbyOdie PWC at the = Bridge 01/18/2006

">http://www.freewebs.com/aesk/inmemoriam.htm


= --Apple-Mail-1-405950867--

15) From: Scot Murphy
On Jan 1, 2007, at 4:04 PM, Larry English wrote:
<Snip>
My second cup is better than my first: a 50/50 of Ethiopians Lekempti  
and Sidamo DP. My first was a mishmash of leftovers, but was  
appropriate for the semi-conscious taste buds of first awakening and  
old "Law & Order" reruns. Then again, my first beer of 2007 was a Sam  
Adams, so that's not a bad start.
Scot "the beer was at midnight, see" Murphy
---
"You were sick, but now you're well again, and there's work to do."
                           --Kilgore Trout

16) From: Kevin St. Pierre
--Apple-Mail-1-412869007
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset-ASCII;
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed
My 1st cup of the year was an under roasted Guatemalan San Marcos  
Finca Maria  :-(  I went too cool in stage 3 of my GC profile  
(roasted on 12/26/06)  Fortunately this morning's brew was the last  
of the batch.  Under roasted sour coffee...Yuck!  Looking forward to  
the Mexican Chiapas roasted today!
Kevin
On Jan 1, 2007, at 1:01 PM, Les wrote:
<Snip>
--Apple-Mail-1-412869007
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Type: text/html;
	charsetO-8859-1
My 1st cup of the year was an =
under roasted Guatemalan San Marcos Finca Maria  :-(  I went too =
cool in stage 3 of my GC profile (roasted on 12/26/06)  Fortunately =
this morning's brew was the last of the batch.  Under roasted sour =
coffee...Yuck!  Looking forward to the Mexican Chiapas roasted =
today!
 Kevin



= On Jan 1, 2007, at 1:01 PM, Les wrote:
My = first cup of the year was almost not a cup of homeroast!  I got 3 = pounds of Barefoot Roasters coffee as a gift.  It is very very good = stuff,  roasted to perfection and good beans.  However, I had a TV = brewed El Salvador Cup of Excellence = #12 -El Zapote rested 6 days to start the New Year.  This was = roasted to a very nice full city.  I just love the Pacamara bean.  = This was a rich bold cup.  The mouth is just full of flavor with every = sip.  It is a nice silky smooth cup with an awesome chocolate = aftertaste.  I am again reminded of the great debt of gratitude we owe = our host, Sweet Marias for bringing us superior beans to work with.  = Thanks Tom and Maria and the rest of the gang for your great service. =   Les   On 1/1/07, Tara = Kollas <tara.kollas> = wrote: Mexico FTO Chiapas -Special = Lot.  Got it in a sampler pack from SM.  I love the Mexican coffees = as a general rule - nice and balanced with chocolate undertones.  = Actually, I'm about to brew it now - my first coffee was at a local = diner - awful but caffeinated.  Which is about all I require when = trying to wrangle a 3 1/2 year old and 2 year old.  On 1/1/07, Eddie = Dove <southcoastcoffeeroaster > = wrote: "Could this be an omen for 07? Yes ... out = with the old, in with the new! Happy New = Year! Eddie -- My Home Coffee Roasting = Blog and Profiles for the Gene Cafe =http://southcoastcoffeeroaster.blogspot.com/ = On 1/1/07, Tom & Maria - Sweet Maria's Coffee = < = sweetmarias> wrote: Hello, and happy new = year everyone! I am cupping today, and gearing up for everyone coming = back tomorrow (well, except Sonny who is stuck behind a snowstorm in = New Mexico). My first coffee of 07 was a Ethiopia Late Harvest Yirg. = I think the roast wasn't ideal, maybe too fast a bit too dark. It was = good but instead of clean citrus, it was a bit sweaty tasting. Still, = i enjoyed it, and a nice early morning dog walk in the bay area fog! = A nice way to start things out. By the way, The Ethiopia Idido = Misty Valley should be here by Friday. I need to go in the truck to = get it. I also have a Yemen Mattari that is great at a darker roast = (I even put FC+ in the name to emphasize the recommended roast on = it.) We have some nice Peru coming and Colombia 2nd Harvest cup of = excellence (not crazy prices too, thankfully). So theres a lot on the = horizon but it depends on my ability to put finishing touches on = reviews amidst a massive effort to ship out the orders that = accumulated since Dec 26. I am behind on the list reading too - i had = my laptop but was having connection problems with its wireless. I = also split my cell phone in half accidentally yesterday. Could this = be an omen for 07? Unsure... Nice to catch up with the recent = posts, and Ken, sorry to hear about your unpleasant surprise = ! Tom >For me, it's Sulawesi Toarco, FC roasted on Xmas = day, >Brewed in a Chemex. May you all enjoy your coffee this = >year as much as I'm enjoying this = cup! > >Andy > >= >Do You Yahoo!? >Tired of spam?  Yahoo! = Mail has the best spam protection around >http://mail.yahoo.com>= >homeroast mailing list > =http://lists.sweetmarias.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast>To = change your personal list settings (digest options, vacations, = >unsvbscribes) go to > =http://sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html#personalsettings= --=                  =   "Great coffee comes from tiny roasters"          =    Sweet Maria's Home Coffee Roasting  -  Tom & Maria =                        = http://www.sweetmarias.com        =         Thompson Owen george_at_sweetmarias.com ==      Sweet Maria's Coffee - 1115 21st Street, Oakland, = CA 94607 - USA              phone/fax: 888 = 876 5917 - tom_at_sweetmarias.com = homeroast mailing = list http://lists.sweetmarias.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast= To change your personal list settings (digest options, = vacations, unsvbscribes) go to =http://sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html#personalsettings= --Apple-Mail-1-412869007--

17) From: Lilboybrew
This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
First cup of the year was a blend of 2 roasts of the same bean (I was trying
out the 2 presets on my new iRoast2). The bean was Sulawesi Toraja (from SM,
of course), 60% was roasted on preset 2 (approx. City) and about 40% on
preset 1 (FC+ or thereabouts - I'm not too good at assessing the roast yet).
Both with 5 days rest.
Whatever, it was yum.
To be good is noble, but to teach others how to be good is nobler--and less
trouble.
-  Mark Twain


HomeRoast Digest