HomeRoast Digest


Topic: timor fto maubesse (19 msgs / 562 lines)
1) From: stereoplegic
anyone tried this one yet? what' a good rest period. the last washed 
indo i roasted was sulawesi wp toarco. that was good right away, and 
didn't change much (slightly more pronounced herbal notes w/ rest). 
should i expect something similar here? i ran through most of my roasted 
stash today (1 cup of ethiopia yirg moledina 3993 left for tomorrow), 
and i need something that doesn't need too long of a nap. i'd like to 
save the last of my mexico fto chiapas special lot, guat. quiche la 
perla estate, and nicaragua limoncillo estate var. java for an 
emergency. i've been curious about the timor since i saw it on the site 
anyway, but i also don't want to waste it by cupping prematurely.

2) From: stereoplegic
sorry, meant "what's a good rest period?"
stereoplegic wrote:
<Snip>

3) From: Paul Jolly
I've found this coffee to work very well at both a variety of roasts & a variety of rests.  Roast it, brew a cuppa tomorrow, if it's no good then make another the next day.  What do you have to lose?  So long as you don't brew a full 10- or 12-cup pot for cupping, you'll not lose much.  You'll gain a lot by trying it at various rests anyway...IMO.
   
  Cheers,
  Paul
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around http://mail.yahoo.com

4) From: Eddie Dove
The Timor was great the next day (16-18 hours) and it just got better ... I
am having it again tomorrow.  Roasted on 12/23 ... intoxicated co-worker on
12/28 to the point that he started ordering coffee from me to purchase.
Look at my notes here:http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dnwz3r2_68gvj3fxEddie
-- 
My Home Coffee Roasting Blog and Profiles for the Gene Cafehttp://southcoastcoffeeroaster.blogspot.com/On 1/1/07, stereoplegic  wrote:
<Snip>

5) From: )))stereo?!?plegic(((
thanks guys. roasted a 5oz batch in the popcorn pumper, munched on a few 
beans, nice herbal notes already.
pauljolly65 wrote:
 > I've found this coffee to work very well at both a variety of roasts 
& a variety of rests.  Roast it, brew a cuppa tomorrow, if it's no good 
then make another the next day.  What do you have to lose?  So long as 
you don't brew a full 10- or 12-cup pot for cupping, you'll not lose 
much.  You'll gain a lot by trying it at various rests anyway...IMO.
 > 
 > Cheers,
 > Paul
 >
southcoastcoffeeroaster wrote:
<Snip>

6) From: Leo Zick
This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
you do this for every cup of coffee you drink?! insane detail!  
From: Eddie Dove [mailto:southcoastcoffeeroaster] 
Sent: Monday, January 01, 2007 10:58 PM
To: homeroast
Subject: Re: +timor fto maubesse
The Timor was great the next day (16-18 hours) and it just got better ... I
am having it again tomorrow.  Roasted on 12/23 ... intoxicated co-worker on
12/28 to the point that he started ordering coffee from me to purchase.
Look at my notes here:http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dnwz3r2_68gvj3fxEddie
-- 
My Home Coffee Roasting Blog and Profiles for the Gene Cafehttp://southcoastcoffeeroaster.blogspot.com/
On 1/1/07, stereoplegic  wrote: 
anyone tried this one yet? what' a good rest period. the last washed
indo i roasted was sulawesi wp toarco. that was good right away, and
didn't change much (slightly more pronounced herbal notes w/ rest).
should i expect something similar here? i ran through most of my roasted
stash today (1 cup of ethiopia yirg moledina 3993 left for tomorrow),
and i need something that doesn't need too long of a nap. i'd like to 
save the last of my mexico fto chiapas special lot, guat. quiche la
perla estate, and nicaragua limoncillo estate var. java for an
emergency. i've been curious about the timor since i saw it on the site
anyway, but i also don't want to waste it by cupping prematurely.

7) From: Eddie Dove
Actually, Kevin is much better at taking notes than I am.  I am trying to do
better ...
You should check his blog ...http://homecoffeeroastblog.blogspot.com/Eddie
-- 
My Home Coffee Roasting Blog and Profiles for the Gene Cafehttp://southcoastcoffeeroaster.blogspot.com/On 1/2/07, Leo Zick < leo> wrote:
<Snip>

8) From: Leo Zick
This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
are you guys retired?  
From: Eddie Dove [mailto:southcoastcoffeeroaster] 
Sent: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 8:25 AM
To: homeroast
Subject: Re: +timor fto maubesse
Actually, Kevin is much better at taking notes than I am.  I am trying to do
better ...
You should check his blog ...http://homecoffeeroastblog.blogspot.com/Eddie
-- 
My Home Coffee Roasting Blog and Profiles for the Gene Cafehttp://southcoastcoffeeroaster.blogspot.com/
On 1/2/07, Leo Zick < leo  >
wrote: 
you do this for every cup of coffee you drink?! insane detail!  
From: Eddie Dove [mailto:southcoastcoffeeroaster] 
Sent: Monday, January 01, 2007 10:58 PM
To: homeroast
Subject: Re: +timor fto maubesse
The Timor was great the next day (16-18 hours) and it just got better ... I
am having it again tomorrow.  Roasted on 12/23 ... intoxicated co-worker on
12/28 to the point that he started ordering coffee from me to purchase.
Look at my notes here:http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dnwz3r2_68gvj3fx
Eddie
-- 
My Home Coffee Roasting Blog and Profiles for the Gene Cafehttp://southcoastcoffeeroaster.blogspot.com/ 
On 1/1/07, stereoplegic 
<Snip>
anyone tried this one yet? what' a good rest period. the last washed
indo i roasted was sulawesi wp toarco. that was good right away, and
didn't change much (slightly more pronounced herbal notes w/ rest).
should i expect something similar here? i ran through most of my roasted
stash today (1 cup of ethiopia yirg moledina 3993 left for tomorrow),
and i need something that doesn't need too long of a nap. i'd like to 
save the last of my mexico fto chiapas special lot, guat. quiche la
perla estate, and nicaragua limoncillo estate var. java for an
emergency. i've been curious about the timor since i saw it on the site
anyway, but i also don't want to waste it by cupping prematurely.

9) From: Eddie Dove
Nope.  Note even close.  Just passionately learning everything I can as fast
as I can.
Eddie
On 1/2/07, Leo Zick  wrote:
<Snip>
-- 
My Home Coffee Roasting Blog and Profiles for the Gene Cafehttp://southcoastcoffeeroaster.blogspot.com/

10) From: Kevin
Leo,
No, I'm not retired.  I have many years of workin' for da man before I
can retire.  I'm just a bit obsessive with coffee; have been since I
was a teen.  It's a vicious cycle, caffeine fuels my OCD and my OCD
drives my need for more caffeine...
Eddie,
Don't sell yourself short, roast notes are thorough as well.  I rely
on them very often and tend to "borrow" your ideas for my own
notes...the temperature mapping in the template you sent was a great
idea.  I'm actually going to plot the temp vs. ramp time on that file
(Mexico Chiapas Special Lot Experiment) when I post the final results
(your idea taken one step further, or one step to many?).
I "borrow" from many people on this list and their posts.  It's been
said 1,000 times, but this list is a treasure trove of information and
has been an invaluable resource.
-- 
My home coffee roasting blog:http://homecoffeeroastblog.blogspot.com/Kevin

11) From: Leo Zick
I hear you guys, but roasting, making, sampling and drinking coffee already
takes up more time than it should, seeing as it's a means to enjoy a drink
and partially quench my thirst. Lol
I have started working on an access db to note my roast info. I guess my
partial ocd forces me to write notes on each roast, and rarely do I follow
up with tasting notes, but try to remember what ive liked or not, and adjust
as nec.  Easier than writing it all down, right now, at least.
Then again, im still hoping I can train my palatte. I don't find the jasmine
scented blueberry undertoned, huckleberry yet tree barked frankensence and
myrhh flavors you all so accurately describe :/

12) From: Leo Zick
This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
other hobbies include?  
From: Eddie Dove [mailto:southcoastcoffeeroaster] 
Sent: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 8:38 AM
To: homeroast
Subject: Re: +timor fto maubesse
Nope.  Note even close.  Just passionately learning everything I can as fast
as I can.
Eddie
On 1/2/07, Leo Zick < leo  >
wrote: 
are you guys retired?  
From: Eddie Dove [mailto:southcoastcoffeeroaster] 
Sent: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 8:25 AM 
To: homeroast
Subject: Re: +timor fto maubesse
Actually, Kevin is much better at taking notes than I am.  I am trying to do
better ...
You should check his blog ...http://homecoffeeroastblog.blogspot.com/ 
Eddie
-- 
My Home Coffee Roasting Blog and Profiles for the Gene Cafehttp://southcoastcoffeeroaster.blogspot.com/ 
On 1/2/07, Leo Zick < leo  >
wrote: 
you do this for every cup of coffee you drink?! insane detail!  
From: Eddie Dove [mailto:southcoastcoffeeroaster ] 
Sent: Monday, January 01, 2007 10:58 PM
To: homeroast
Subject: Re: +timor fto maubesse
The Timor was great the next day (16-18 hours) and it just got better ... I
am having it again tomorrow.  Roasted on 12/23 ... intoxicated co-worker on
12/28 to the point that he started ordering coffee from me to purchase.
Look at my notes here:http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dnwz3r2_68gvj3fx 
Eddie
-- 
My Home Coffee Roasting Blog and Profiles for the Gene Cafehttp://southcoastcoffeeroaster.blogspot.com/ 
On 1/1/07, stereoplegic 
<Snip>
anyone tried this one yet? what' a good rest period. the last washed
indo i roasted was sulawesi wp toarco. that was good right away, and
didn't change much (slightly more pronounced herbal notes w/ rest).
should i expect something similar here? i ran through most of my roasted
stash today (1 cup of ethiopia yirg moledina 3993 left for tomorrow),
and i need something that doesn't need too long of a nap. i'd like to 
save the last of my mexico fto chiapas special lot, guat. quiche la
perla estate, and nicaragua limoncillo estate var. java for an
emergency. i've been curious about the timor since i saw it on the site
anyway, but i also don't want to waste it by cupping prematurely.-- 
My Home Coffee Roasting Blog and Profiles for the Gene Cafehttp://southcoastcoffeeroaster.blogspot.com/

13) From: Kevin
Leo,
Right now I don't really have time for other hobbies.  I'm in graduate
school (MBA) at night, have a 2.5 month old at home, and commute 85mi
one way.  When not in school I dabble in guitar (I stink!) and my wife
and I like to hike and read.  How about yourself?
On 1/2/07, Leo Zick  wrote:
<Snip>
-- 
My home coffee roasting blog:http://homecoffeeroastblog.blogspot.com/Kevin

14) From: Leo Zick
Ouch!  Your notes are a gateway into self preservation more than ocd detail,
I think. :)
Mba would be nice. If I stick with this company, ill have to push em for it.
My commute is ~75 miles when I drive, or a 2 hr commute to train station, on
train, then to work. I feel your pain.
Hobbies? Lately, working on house is about it, and with my long work days,
even that's been cut short! Otherwise, cars, working out, wine making and
anything else that catches my eye.

15) From: Kevin
Oh yeah, forgot about working on the house...
Your schedule is as packed as mine and you hit the nail on the head.
When you have to drink coffee to get by you might as make the best
coffee you can!  That's why I am grateful for Tom and his services!
On 1/2/07, Leo Zick  wrote:
<Snip>
-- 
My home coffee roasting blog:http://homecoffeeroastblog.blogspot.com/Kevin

16) From: Leo Zick
And so the great debate - work more to pay people to work on your house, or
work just enough to make everyone happy, and work on your house yourself.
Lately, ive been thinking option a may be a better choice.

17) From: Kevin
Leo,
Do you have a spy camera in my house?  My wife and I had this
discussion this very week!  With time being such a precious commodity
these days I agree with you, Option A it is.  I even take my car to a
**gulp** mechanic now after years of doing all the work myself (I'm no
auto expert but I can turn a wrench).  Never thought I'd actually pay
for the labor to do an oil change but there's not enough time in the
day and I appreciate the shop that works on my car now.
If you can get your employer to pay for the MBA go for it!  I really
enjoyed it and the curriculum was a lot of work but not as challenging
as my undergraduate work.
On 1/2/07, Leo Zick  wrote:
<Snip>
-- 
My home coffee roasting blog:http://homecoffeeroastblog.blogspot.com/Kevin

18) From: Tara Kollas
I have to roast tonight - I'm going to have to try this one.
On 1/1/07, Paul Jolly  wrote:
<Snip>

19) From: Brett Mason
You guys!  85 miles / an hour plus commute ...  wow.  I only say that
cause I was there since 1980, working in Southern California...  I did
the math last year - apparently more than 8000 hours have been spent
on the freeways and roads as I eked out an income.  I hadn't realized,
but I was also establishing a lifestyle...
Last year I looked up, did the math, and suddenly realized.  My wife
and kids missed me for about 8000 extra hours since 1980.  Work didnt
miss me, the gas and car companies didnt miss me.  It was tutoring,
helping in the kitchen, looking at pictures and listening to
elementary music that had an open seat...
Well, not retired, and not sure if I ever will, but I am now a 3
minute drive or 12 minute walk to work.  I make it to almost every
event, and now help with homework, baseball, scouts, church, sports,
and just plain goofing off...
I'm hoping you can find a few more minutes in each day, for you and
for your families during this new year.  I know it's a grind, and wish
you the best course through it!
Regards,
Brett
On 1/2/07, Kevin  wrote:
<Snip>
-- 
Cheers,
Bretthttp://homeroast.freeservers.com


HomeRoast Digest