HomeRoast Digest


Topic: My First Roast - Part 2 (7 msgs / 285 lines)
1) From: Ronnie Kramer
So yesterday I roasted the pound of Nicaragua Limon in three roasts.  There is only half the chaff in these as in the Colombia Tolima.
   
  #4) Hit the cool cycle with 2:00 remaining, just after the dark etching was mostly gone.  I think this is C+, maybe C.
   
  #5) Hit the cool cycle with 1:30 remaining, these are a tad darker.  I think C+, maybe FC.  Both of these roasts are between my Colombia C and FC, so the visual (texture and oily spots, more than dark) might be working fairly well for me.
   
  #6) I let them go the full 9:30.  Shinny!  These are certainly darker than the Colombia FC I let go the distance.  I was going to stop when I saw the first oily spots, but decided to let it go.  At first they were completely shiny, but only a few actual drops on the surface. Today there are more oily drops on the surface.  I think these are a Viennese, but could they be French?
   
  Again, please look at my photos and let me know if you agree or disagree with my roast determinations.
   
 http://www.flickr.com/photos/angwil/   
  I tasted the Nicaragua Limoncillo City/city+ today.  I have a Bunn Thermoroast which brews a full pot in 3 minutes.  It makes excellent coffee by the pot.  But when I put in 16 oz of water for one mug, itís through brewing in 70 seconds. I know, I know.  Anyway, I used 16 oz water and 24 g of the Nicaragua City .  It was not strong or full.  But man-o-man.  I love this stuff.  Iím dying to try the Vienna , and a full pot of the City.
   
  It was smooth and not intense at all, but delicious, even if weak.  I could definitely taste the limon, but only as I began to swallow and for about 10 seconds afterwards.  A delicate, sweet, delicious limony taste.  Has anyone ever put a few drops of limon concentrate in coffee?  Iím gonna try it sometime.
   
  Iím planning on getting a digital thermometer and thermocouple soon, as well as a small press pot for making coffee one mug at a time.
   
  Thatís it except the weather report.  Thereís freezing rain and ice on the ground in Austin.  Thereís a little snow just north of hear and theyíre saying we may get a little in Austin tonight.  If were lucky we will, otherwise it will come down as ice.
   
  Ronnie
Ronnie Kramer
Austin, TX

2) From: Brian Kamnetz
On 1/15/07, Ronnie Kramer  wrote:
<Snip>
Consider getting one of Sweet Maria's small moka pots.  Mine has me so
spoiled I can hardly get myself to make press pot coffee anymore.
Brian

3) From: Bob
This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
Ronnie,
Great job! By color your roast levels are as you state.
Gotta find a way to hear the cracks though. Try setting the roaster on a =
different surface. Also try standing back a bit.
Better start drinking more--you've got a lot of coffee roasted up!
VegasBob

4) From: Ronnie Kramer
Can anyone with an IR2 hear the cracks?  How long does 1st crack typcially last in an IR2?  10 seconds? 2 minutes?  I just roasted some more and thought, was confident even, that I heard the first crack.  However it never stopped even though I took the beans to FC+ as far as I can tell.  Just a few oily spots on the beans when I cooled them.  So it must not have been the first crack I was hearing.
   
  I'll try a different surface and standing back a bit Bob.  Thanks!
   
  -Ronnie
Bob  wrote:
          Ronnie,
  Great job! By color your roast levels are as you state.
  Gotta find a way to hear the cracks though. Try setting the roaster on a different surface. Also try standing back a bit.
  Better start drinking more--you've got a lot of coffee roasted up!
  VegasBob

5) From: Sandy Andina
--Apple-Mail-209--528103071
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset-ASCII;
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed
I can hear 1st crack--sounds sharp, like twigs snapping. But  
eventually as I age I will probably lose the ability to filter out  
the roar of the motor. Length varies with the bean and the profile-- 
even from roast to roast. I roast viscerally, anyway--every roast is  
a first one to me. Second crack's a little tougher to differentiate  
from the sound of the cascading beans themselves--for that I go by  
smell and sight.
On Jan 15, 2007, at 5:44 PM, Ronnie Kramer wrote:
<Snip>
Sandy
www.sandyandina.com
www.sass-music.com
--Apple-Mail-209--528103071
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Type: text/html;
	charsetO-8859-1
I can hear 1st crack--sounds =
sharp, like twigs snapping. But eventually as I age I will probably lose =
the ability to filter out the roar of the motor. Length varies with the =
bean and the profile--even from roast to roast. I roast viscerally, =
anyway--every roast is a first one to me. Second crack's a little =
tougher to differentiate from the sound of the cascading beans =
themselves--for that I go by smell and sight.
On Jan 15, =
2007, at 5:44 PM, Ronnie Kramer wrote:
Can anyone with an = IR2 hear the cracks?† How long does 1st crack typcially last in an = IR2? Sandywww.sass-music.com
= = --Apple-Mail-209--528103071--

6) From: miKe mcKoffee
<Snip>
[mailto:homeroast-admin] On Behalf Of Ronnie Kramer
<Snip>
	 
<Snip>
I could definitely taste the limon, but only as I began to swallow and for
about 10 seconds afterwards.  A delicate, sweet, delicious limony taste.
Has anyone ever put a few drops of limon concentrate in coffee?  I'm gonna
try it sometime.
<Snip>
If you like a good citrusy coffee rather than adding lemon juice/concentrate
I'd highly suggest trying a Wet Processed Ethiopia Yirgacheffe al natural.
Also, sounds like your tastings have been at short rest. Often/usually
flavor complexities take a number of days to really develop, especially
lighter roasts. 
Compare cups of the same roast same bean 1,2,3...out to at least 7 days and
see for yourself!
Kona Konnaisseur miKe mcKoffee
URL to Rosto mods, FrankenFormer, some recipes etc:http://mdmint.home.comcast.net/coffee/Rosto_mod.htmUltimately the quest for Koffee Nirvana is a solitary path. To know I must
first not know. And in knowing know I know not. Each Personal enlightenment
found exploring the many divergent foot steps of Those who have gone before.

7) From: Ronnie Kramer
Thanks Mike,
   
  I'll definitely try a Yirgacheffe.  The tasting I described was at one day rest.  I'll be tasting it for the next 3 or 4 days at least.  The light french was dominated by chocolate with a bit of limon underneath.
miKe mcKoffee  wrote:
  
<Snip>
[mailto:homeroast-admin] On Behalf Of Ronnie Kramer
<Snip>
<Snip>
I could definitely taste the limon, but only as I began to swallow and for
about 10 seconds afterwards. A delicate, sweet, delicious limony taste.
Has anyone ever put a few drops of limon concentrate in coffee? I'm gonna
try it sometime.
<Snip>
If you like a good citrusy coffee rather than adding lemon juice/concentrate
I'd highly suggest trying a Wet Processed Ethiopia Yirgacheffe al natural.
Also, sounds like your tastings have been at short rest. Often/usually
flavor complexities take a number of days to really develop, especially
lighter roasts. 
Compare cups of the same roast same bean 1,2,3...out to at least 7 days and
see for yourself!
Kona Konnaisseur miKe mcKoffee
URL to Rosto mods, FrankenFormer, some recipes etc:http://mdmint.home.comcast.net/coffee/Rosto_mod.htmUltimately the quest for Koffee Nirvana is a solitary path. To know I must
first not know. And in knowing know I know not. Each Personal enlightenment
found exploring the many divergent foot steps of Those who have gone before.Ronnie Kramer
Austin, TX


HomeRoast Digest