HomeRoast Digest


Topic: aluminum vs stainless for moka pot? (12 msgs / 627 lines)
1) From: Richard Ferguson
Any opinions on aluminum versus stainless steel for moka pots?  Thanks
richard

2) From: Larry Johnson
There weren't any SS Moka pots (that I saw, anyway) when I bought my AL
Bialettis. If there had been, I would probably have gone with SS. That said,
I have no complaint with the AL ones, although you should probably wait to
hear from someone that has experience with both. (So shut up, Larry).
-- 
Larry J (Lilboybrew)
"Don't knock the weather. If it didn't change once in a while, nine out of
ten people couldn't start a conversation."    -- Kin HUbbard
On 2/8/07, Richard Ferguson  wrote:
<Snip>

3) From: Larry Williams
The only thing you should use aluminum on is on is a high rise racing 
manifold.  No food especially with low pH  -  Coffee.
Larry
Richard Ferguson wrote:
<Snip>
-- 
No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.1.411 / Virus Database: 268.17.33/678 - Release Date: 2/9/2007

4) From: Larry Johnson
Why?
On 2/9/07, Larry Williams  wrote:
<Snip>
-- 
Larry J (Lilboybrew)
"Don't knock the weather. If it didn't change once in a while, nine out of
ten people couldn't start a conversation."    -- Kin HUbbard

5) From: Sandra Andina
--Apple-Mail-24--531134757
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset-ASCII;
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed
Acid foods can leach aluminum from aluminum vessels, and there is a  
school of thought (unproven) that ingestion of aluminum causes  
Alzheimer's.  (Whether or not that is true, the main causes are  
genetic, age-dependent, and insufficient blood flow to the brain;   
doing "brain exercises" like puzzles can help stave it off).   
Nonetheless, acid foods also can corrode aluminum vessels faster, and  
stuff brewed in stainless steel also tastes more "neutral." Aluminum  
boilers heat and cool faster, but can also corrode:  the tradeoff you  
make with a Gaggia espresso machine.  When it comes to moka pots,  
however, the water and coffee don't stay in them long enough  
(assuming you drink the batch right after brewing and rinse and  
thoroughly dry both chambers afterward) to make much of a difference.
On Feb 9, 2007, at 12:52 PM, Larry Johnson wrote:
<Snip>
Sandra Andina
www.sandyandina.com
--Apple-Mail-24--531134757
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Type: text/html;
	charsetO-8859-1
Acid foods can leach aluminum =
from aluminum vessels, and there is a school of thought (unproven) that =
ingestion of aluminum causes Alzheimer's.  (Whether or not that is =
true, the main causes are genetic, age-dependent, and insufficient blood =
flow to the brain;  doing "brain exercises" like puzzles can help =
stave it off).  Nonetheless, acid foods also can corrode aluminum =
vessels faster, and stuff brewed in stainless steel also tastes more =
"neutral." Aluminum boilers heat and cool faster, but can also corrode: =
 the tradeoff you make with a Gaggia espresso machine.  When it comes =
to moka pots, however, the water and coffee don't stay in them long =
enough (assuming you drink the batch right after brewing and rinse and =
thoroughly dry both chambers afterward) to make much of a =
difference.
On Feb 9, 2007, at 12:52 PM, Larry Johnson =
wrote:
Why? On 2/9/07, = Larry Williams <larrydwilliams>= ; wrote: The only = thing you should use aluminum on is on is a high rise = racing manifold.  No food especially with low pH  -  Coffee= . Larry Richard Ferguson wrote: > Any opinions on = aluminum versus stainless steel for moka pots?  Thanks > >= richard > > = > homeroast = mailing list > http://li=sts.sweetmarias.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast > To change = your personal list settings (digest options, vacations, unsvbscribes) go = to http://=sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html#personalsettings > > = > -- No virus found in this outgoing = message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.1.411 / Virus = Database: 268.17.33/678 - Release Date: = 2/9/2007 homeroa= st mailing list =http://lists.sweetmarias.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroastTo change = your personal list settings (digest options, vacations, unsvbscribes) go = to http://=sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html#personalsettings =
-- Larry J = (Lilboybrew) "Don't knock the weather. If it didn't change once = in a while, nine out of ten people couldn't start a conversation."   =  -- Kin HUbbard Sandra = Andinawww.sandyandina.com

= = --Apple-Mail-24--531134757--

6) From: Larry Johnson
First of all, I thought that coffee wasn't all that acidic; that the term
"acid" was being used more as a flavor descriptor than an indication of
relative pH. But even if it is acidic, I do as you say; I pour the cup as
soon as it's brewed. I don't like coffee to sit too long in *anything*, AL,
SS, glass,... anything. And third, aluminum is one of the most common
elements on the planet. We take in a lot more aluminum incidentally than we
would ever get from an itty-bitty ol' Moka pot. To quote Wikipedia -
"....if there is any toxicity of aluminium it must be via a very specific
mechanism, since total human exposure to the element in the form of
naturally occurring clay in soil and dust is enormously large over a
lifetime."   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminum#PrecautionsI'm not trying to talk anybody into or out of anything, but there just
doesn't seem to be any logical reason for a prejudice against aluminum. But
the SS is prettier.....
-- 
Larry J (Lilboybrew)
"The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it."
  - Flannery O'Connor
On 2/9/07, Sandra Andina  wrote:
<Snip>

7) From: Dave
I bought an aluminum moka pot figuring it was cheap, and if I liked the
coffee I could upgrade to SS. It quickly became my favorite coffee maker. In
our area the water is fairly high PH, so the water itself has little effect
on the aluminum. When I brew coffee, I pour it as soon as it is finished, so
there is very little time exposure of the aluminum to the acid coffee. I
haven't detected any metallic quality to the brew. Maybe I'll upgrade, and
maybe I won't, but I really like my moka pot.
-- 
Dave
Some days...
It's just not worth chewing through the leather straps
On 2/9/07, Sandra Andina  wrote:
<Snip>

8) From: Tim TenClay
This question comes up occasionally and peopl eseem to always suggest
aluminum for health and taste reasons.  I have a SS moka pot, but had an
aluminum one before it.  I didn't notice much difference with the taste, and
I'm not convinced that the small amount of aluminum that might leach from it
during coffee making is worth worrying about (although my wife would
probalby disagree - she cares about those things).
I did notice, however, that the Stainless Steel Moka Pot was easier to make
a good batch in.  It's less touchy and seems to require less finesse.  I
don't get nearly as nice of coffee out of the Aluminum one as I do out of
the SS one...  Maybe the aluminum conducts the heat too well???
Just my 2c.
Grace and Peace,
  `tim
On 2/8/07, Richard Ferguson  wrote:
<Snip>
-- 
The content of this e-mail may be private or of confidential nature.
Do not forward without permission of the original author.
--
Rev. Tim TenClay, IAPC, NATA #253
Dunningville Reformed Church (www.dunningville.org)
Knots & More Tatting Supplies (www.knotsandmore.com)
Personal Blog:http://www.tenclay.org/blog

9) From: Larry Williams
I avoid aluminum because it may be associated with Alzheimer's disease.  
Google "cooking with acidic foods"
.
Larry
Larry Johnson wrote:
<Snip>
-- 
No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.1.411 / Virus Database: 268.17.33/678 - Release Date: 2/9/2007

10) From: raymanowen
"...doesn't seem to be any logical reason for a prejudice against aluminum."
Say that again? Your prejudice becomes your logic, doesn't it? My logic just
derailed.
Excess grid Bias will Prejudice the tube against a linear eg/ip curve-
Cheers -RayO, aka Opa!
2 Beans short of a blend-

11) From: Sandra Andina
--Apple-Mail-48--479196831
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset-ASCII;
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed
The link between Alzheimer's and aluminum pots is still a theory,  
just as with the supposed dangers of flouridation, DPT vaccines and  
silver-amalgam fillings. But aluminum leached by acid foods looks and  
tastes awful, and aluminum corrodes--so the esthetic considerations  
alone are enough for me to avoid it (except for good nonstick  
coatings and anodized aluminum).  Genetics (especially if you're  
Jewish, Irish, or African-American), inflammation and lack of mental  
exercise are still the main causes of Alzheimer's. I avoid using  
aluminum to make coffee because it doesn't taste as good as glass,  
brass or stainless.
And I wouldn't take Google or Wikipedia as conclusive authorities on  
anything.  (Sort of the New Millennium versions of John Fogerty's  
1985 lyrics, "I know it's true, oh so true, 'cause I saw it on TV.").
On Feb 9, 2007, at 9:18 PM, Larry Williams wrote:
<Snip>
Sandra Andina
www.sandyandina.com
--Apple-Mail-48--479196831
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Type: text/html;
	charsetO-8859-1
The link between Alzheimer's and =
aluminum pots is still a theory, just as with the supposed dangers of =
flouridation, DPT vaccines and silver-amalgam fillings. But aluminum =
leached by acid foods looks and tastes awful, and aluminum corrodes--so =
the esthetic considerations alone are enough for me to avoid it (except =
for good nonstick coatings and anodized aluminum).  Genetics =
(especially if you're Jewish, Irish, or African-American), inflammation =
and lack of mental exercise are still the main causes of Alzheimer's. I =
avoid using aluminum to make coffee because it doesn't taste as good as =
glass, brass or stainless.
And I wouldn't take Google = or Wikipedia as conclusive authorities on anything.  (Sort of the New = Millennium versions of John Fogerty's 1985 lyrics, "I know it's true, oh = so true, 'cause I saw it on TV."). On Feb 9, 2007, at 9:18 = PM, Larry Williams wrote:
I avoid aluminum because it may be associated with = Alzheimer's disease.  = Google "cooking with acidic foods" Larry Larry Johnson wrote: = Why? On = 2/9/07, *Larry Williams* <larrydwilliams <mailto:larrydwilliams= >> wrote:    The only thing you should = use aluminum on is on is a high rise racing    manifold.  No food especially with low = pH  -  Coffee.     Larry     Richard Ferguson = wrote:    > Any opinions on = aluminum versus stainless steel for moka    pots?  Thanks    = >    > richard    = >    > =    = > homeroast mailing list    > http://li=sts.sweetmarias.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast    = > To change your personal list settings (digest = options,    vacations, unsvbscribes) = go to    http://=sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html#personalsettings    = >    >    = >     --    = No virus found in this outgoing message.    = Checked by AVG Free Edition.    Version: 7.1.411 / Virus = Database: 268.17.33/678 - Release Date:    2/9/2007     =    = homeroast mailing list    http://li=sts.sweetmarias.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast    = To change your personal list settings (digest options, = vacations,    unsvbscribes) go = to    = http://=sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html#personalsettings    = <http://=sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html#personalsettings> -- Larry J = (Lilboybrew) "Don't knock the weather. If it didn't change once = in a while, nine out of ten people couldn't start a conversation."    -- Kin HUbbard No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition.Version: 7.1.411 / Virus Database: 268.17.33/678 - = Release Date: 2/9/2007

  

-- No virus = found in this outgoing message.Checked by = AVG Free Edition.Version: 7.1.411 / Virus = Database: 268.17.33/678 - Release Date: 2/9/2007 homeroast mailing listhttp://li=sts.sweetmarias.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroastTo change your personal list settings (digest = options, vacations, unsvbscribes) go to http://=sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html#personalsettings = Sandra = Andinawww.sandyandina.com

= = --Apple-Mail-48--479196831--

12) From: Eddie Laperruque
This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
great input Sandra - tks...
earl


HomeRoast Digest