HomeRoast Digest


Topic: new model technivorm (16 msgs / 869 lines)
1) From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Claus_Th=F8gersen?=
    Hi,
During the easter I visitted my parents, they live about 200 kilometers from 
here. As usual like in most other places they serve standard industrial 
coffee, and if my father is in charge he is making it too weak, a nasty 
experience.
They have however bought a new Technivorm, and one that seems to be a newer 
model than the models on the sm site.
This one looks like the classic models, the one with the  glass carof, but 
instead of the glass carof placed on a heat element, there is a tall thermos 
placed on the counter in a carved out hole in the machine itself, really 
good design!
So they have done  away with the terrible design of the first model with a 
thermos and just redesigned the classic model. Here in Denmark it costs a 
lot of money, something like 50 dollars more than the older models, but it 
is really a nice machine, and if you have to spend to much on an electrical 
coffee maker this is the one to go for!
I do not have the model number or any picture of the machine sorry!
Claus Thøgersen

2) From: raymanowen
I perused the Sweet Maria's website after I looked at the Technivorm site.
While SM doesn't sell the entire Technivorm line, they have the following,
and the TV site makes no reference to anything newer:
The *Technivorm KBTS* has a 1 liter (8 cup) capacity, and brews directly
into an all stainless steel thermal carafe (which is included).
Height 13", Width 11.2", Depth 6.7"
 The *Technivorm KBT 741 * is the big brother to the KBTS. It features a
1.25 liter carafe (10 cups). It too brews directly into an all stainless
steel thermal carafe (included). Note that this is the new
carafe,
more angular than the previous but functionally identical.
Height 14.8", Width 12", Depth 7.1"
*Technivorm KBTS
*Color: Chrome*
$192.50* (+12 Lbs. shipping)
*[image: add to
cart]
*
*Technivorm KBT 741
*Color: Chrome*
$200* (+12 Lbs. shipping)
*[image: add to
cart]
*
On 4/9/07, Claus Thøgersen  wrote:
<Snip>
t
<Snip>
a
<Snip>
t
<Snip>
 Cheers, It's in there -RayO, aka Opa!
-- 
"When the theme hits the bass, I dance the Jig!" - -Virgil Fox at the Might=
y
Wichita (ex- NYC Paramount) WurliTzer- 1976

3) From: Maryann & Dave Schellenberg
Not necessarily "newer", but the Technivorm web site does have other 
products that fit Claus description, e.g. ThermoKing.
Dave S.
raymanowen wrote:
<Snip>

4) From: Kevin
My TV will be delivered by Brown tomorrow!  Can't wait to test it out on
some Kona curtesy of mcKoffee!!

5) From: Leo Zick
This is a multipart message in MIME format.
Can someone explain what makes this such a good machine?
 
 
From: raymanowen [mailto:raymanowen] 
Sent: Monday, April 09, 2007 8:31 PM
To: homeroast
Subject: Re: +new model technivorm
 
I perused the Sweet Maria's website after I looked at the Technivorm =
site.
While SM doesn't sell the entire Technivorm line, they have the =
following,
and the TV site makes no reference to anything newer:
   
The Technivorm KBTS has a 1 liter (8 cup) capacity, and brews directly =
into
an all stainless steel thermal carafe (which is included).
Height 13", Width 11.2", Depth 6.7"
   
The Technivorm KBT 741 is the big brother to the KBTS. It features a =
1.25
liter carafe (10 cups). It too brews directly into an all stainless =
steel
thermal carafe (included). Note that this is the new carafe
 , =
more
angular than the previous but functionally identical. 
Height 14.8", Width 12", Depth 7.1"
Technivorm KBTS
Color: Chrome 
$192.50 (+12 Lbs. shipping) 
 
 add to =
cart
Technivorm KBT 741 
Color: Chrome 
$200 (+12 Lbs. shipping) 
 
 add to =
cart
 
On 4/9/07, Claus Thøgersen  >
wrote:
    Hi,
During the easter I visitted my parents, they live about 200 kilometers =
from
here. As usual like in most other places they serve standard industrial
coffee, and if my father is in charge he is making it too weak, a nasty
experience.
They have however bought a new Technivorm, and one that seems to be a =
newer 
model than the models on the sm site.
This one looks like the classic models, the one with the  glass carof, =
but
instead of the glass carof placed on a heat element, there is a tall =
thermos
placed on the counter in a carved out hole in the machine itself, really =
good design!
So they have done  away with the terrible design of the first model with =
a
thermos and just redesigned the classic model. Here in Denmark it costs =
a
lot of money, something like 50 dollars more than the older models, but =
it 
is really a nice machine, and if you have to spend to much on an =
electrical
coffee maker this is the one to go for!
I do not have the model number or any picture of the machine sorry!
Claus ThøgersenCheers, It's in there -RayO, aka Opa!
-- 
"When the theme hits the bass, I dance the Jig!" - -Virgil Fox at the =
Mighty
Wichita (ex- NYC Paramount) WurliTzer- 1976 

6) From: Brett Mason
Explanation:
  Temperature for proper temp'ed brewing...
Regards,
Brett
On 4/9/07, Leo Zick  wrote:
<Snip>
.
<Snip>
,
<Snip>
www.sweetmarias.com/technivorm-pics/kbt741newcarafe-pre.jpg>,
<Snip>
creen=BASK&Store_Code=sm&Action=ADPR&Product_Code=3010&Attributes=
=Yes&Quantity=1>
<Snip>
creen=BASK&Store_Code=sm&Action=ADPR&Product_Code=3009&Attributes=
=Yes&Quantity=1>
<Snip>
t
<Snip>
a
<Snip>
t
<Snip>
-- 
Cheers,
Bretthttp://homeroast.freeservers.com

7) From: Floyd Lozano
70's style shagtastic design
-F
<Snip>

8) From: Leo Zick
This is a multipart message in MIME format.
So an accurate thermostat makes a drip machine cost $200?
Well, I guess considering $1000 espresso machines cant control temp that
accurately it’s a bargain, huh? lol
 
From: Brett Mason [mailto:homeroast] 
Sent: Monday, April 09, 2007 10:35 PM
To: homeroast
Subject: Re: +new model technivorm
 
Explanation:
  Temperature for proper temp'ed brewing...
Regards,
Brett
On 4/9/07, Leo Zick  >
wrote:
Can someone explain what makes this such a good machine?
 
 
From: raymanowen [mailto: 
raymanowen] 
Sent: Monday, April 09, 2007 8:31 PM
To: homeroast
Subject: Re: +new model technivorm
 
I perused the Sweet Maria's website after I looked at the Technivorm =
site.
While SM doesn't sell the entire Technivorm line, they have the =
following,
and the TV site makes no reference to anything newer:
   
The Technivorm KBTS has a 1 liter (8 cup) capacity, and brews directly =
into
an all stainless steel thermal carafe (which is included).
Height 13", Width 11.2", Depth 6.7"
   
The Technivorm KBT 741 is the big brother to the KBTS. It features a =
1.25
liter carafe (10 cups). It too brews directly into an all stainless =
steel
thermal carafe (included). Note that this is the new carafe
 , =
more
angular than the previous but functionally identical. 
Height 14.8", Width 12", Depth 7.1"
Technivorm KBTS
Color: Chrome 
$192.50 (+12 Lbs. shipping) 
 
 add to =
cart
Technivorm KBT 741 
Color: Chrome 
$200 (+12 Lbs. shipping) 
 
 add to =
cart
 
On 4/9/07, Claus Thøgersen  >
wrote:
    Hi,
During the easter I visitted my parents, they live about 200 kilometers =
from
here. As usual like in most other places they serve standard industrial
coffee, and if my father is in charge he is making it too weak, a nasty
experience.
They have however bought a new Technivorm, and one that seems to be a =
newer 
model than the models on the sm site.
This one looks like the classic models, the one with the  glass carof, =
but
instead of the glass carof placed on a heat element, there is a tall =
thermos
placed on the counter in a carved out hole in the machine itself, really =
good design!
So they have done  away with the terrible design of the first model with =
a
thermos and just redesigned the classic model. Here in Denmark it costs =
a
lot of money, something like 50 dollars more than the older models, but =
it 
is really a nice machine, and if you have to spend to much on an =
electrical
coffee maker this is the one to go for!
I do not have the model number or any picture of the machine sorry!
Claus ThøgersenCheers, It's in there -RayO, aka Opa!
-- 
"When the theme hits the bass, I dance the Jig!" - -Virgil Fox at the =
Mighty
Wichita (ex- NYC Paramount) WurliTzer- 1976 
-- 
Cheers,
Bretthttp://homeroast.freeservers.com

9) From: Brett Mason
It's both accurate and appropriate.
Brews great coffee.
On a lesser investment, you could have considered the Melitta Clarity, or
the Presto Scandinavian.  That's what I did - so I have invested about $35
between the two.
See, accuracy at the wrong temperature means accurate, but cr Coffee - a
lot like Folgers.
But, accuracy, at the right temperature, means consistently great coffee.
If you just want to save money, go to Home Depot.  The coffee there, over
where the contractors' door is, costs nothing....  It's at least as good as
that...
Or spend a bit and buy Folgers...
Technivorm is not for this level of coffee appreciation....
'Nuff said,
Brett
On 4/9/07, Leo Zick  wrote:
<Snip>
.
<Snip>
,
<Snip>
www.sweetmarias.com/technivorm-pics/kbt741newcarafe-pre.jpg>,
<Snip>
creen=BASK&Store_Code=sm&Action=ADPR&Product_Code=3010&Attributes=
=Yes&Quantity=1>
<Snip>
creen=BASK&Store_Code=sm&Action=ADPR&Product_Code=3009&Attributes=
=Yes&Quantity=1>
<Snip>
t
<Snip>
a
<Snip>
t
<Snip>
-- 
Cheers,
Bretthttp://homeroast.freeservers.com

10) From: Sheila Quinn
Is the Melitta Clarity another discontinued product? I'm assuming it is 
since I don't see it anywhere. Are any of the new Melitta models any 
good? I need to buy a decent coffee maker for my mom's house, but I 
don't want to spend a lot of money. Her Mr. Coffee is dreadful. I didn't 
bring along my coffee arsenal this time, so I've been suffering with it. 
Even my good coffee tastes bad.
Sheila
Brett Mason wrote:
<Snip>

11) From: raymanowen
Let the brew and the possible variations speak for themselves. I
disremember, but I've used in excess of 400 paper cone filters in mine, and
for a longer period, I've used a Gold mesh filter. I have no clue as to the
total number of full brews I've done.
Partial brews are child's play.
When I work at an inspection gig at Avaya, if I'm working with Andy I fill
my 3L thermos air pot with two pots and one extended brew. I add more coffee
to the filter and add more water to the reservoir when one pot is full.
Transfer the coffee to the thermos and brew the extended pot.
Finally, the Technivorm will cause you to do some serious balancing- of your
check register when you reconcile it with the bank statement, and your
coffee brewing machinery. You might question using a brewer that can reveal
the flaws in the grinding process, when the grinder itself tends to blemish
the superb flavor potential in any coffee you roast.
Cheers -RayO, aka Opa!
What's your time worth?

12) From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Claus_Th=F8gersen?=
This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
HI,
Well I did not  look closely enough at the page, you are right the =
machine I am  talking about must be the kbts or kbt 741, the other =
model, the one Tom seems to think has a nice design is the
Moccamaster CD, a model filled with plastic and funny hsapes and simply =
a design I think is  worse than the original design, but with the =
advantage of a carof instead of a glass can on a burner. The kbts and =
kbt 741  is designed like the old models but with the carofs. 
Before I really new anything about  good coffee before I got my first =
plade grinder I had the classic Technivorm, but after I have discovered =
homeroasted coffee, bought a good grinder, starting only drinking vacuum =
brewed coffee and Aeropress coffee, obviously I would not pay the money =
for a Technivorm. However I really still think the kbts or kbt 741 are  =
really nice machines! 
Claus

13) From: Leo Zick
This is a multipart message in MIME format.
My press pot costs me $10.
I appreciate that I was able to use the remainder for more greens, I =
found
that to be appropriate.
 
 
From: Brett Mason [mailto:homeroast] 
Sent: Monday, April 09, 2007 11:26 PM
To: homeroast
Subject: Re: +new model technivorm
 
It's both accurate and appropriate.  
Brews great coffee.
On a lesser investment, you could have considered the Melitta Clarity, =
or
the Presto Scandinavian.  That's what I did - so I have invested about =
$35
between the two. 
See, accuracy at the wrong temperature means accurate, but cr Coffee - =
a
lot like Folgers.
But, accuracy, at the right temperature, means consistently great =
coffee.
If you just want to save money, go to Home Depot.  The coffee there, =
over
where the contractors' door is, costs nothing....  It's at least as good =
as
that... 
Or spend a bit and buy Folgers...
Technivorm is not for this level of coffee appreciation....
'Nuff said,
Brett
On 4/9/07, Leo Zick  wrote:
So an accurate thermostat makes a drip machine cost $200?
Well, I guess considering $1000 espresso machines cant control temp that
accurately it's a bargain, huh? lol
 
From: Brett Mason [mailto:homeroast] 
Sent: Monday, April 09, 2007 10:35 PM
To: homeroast
Subject: Re: +new model technivorm
 
Explanation:
  Temperature for proper temp'ed brewing...
Regards,
Brett
On 4/9/07, Leo Zick  >
wrote:
Can someone explain what makes this such a good machine?
 
 
From: raymanowen [mailto: 
raymanowen] 
Sent: Monday, April 09, 2007 8:31 PM
To: homeroast
Subject: Re: +new model technivorm
 
I perused the Sweet Maria's website after I looked at the Technivorm =
site.
While SM doesn't sell the entire Technivorm line, they have the =
following,
and the TV site makes no reference to anything newer:
   
The Technivorm KBTS has a 1 liter (8 cup) capacity, and brews directly =
into
an all stainless steel thermal carafe (which is included).
Height 13", Width 11.2", Depth 6.7"
   
The Technivorm KBT 741 is the big brother to the KBTS. It features a =
1.25
liter carafe (10 cups). It too brews directly into an all stainless =
steel
thermal carafe (included). Note that this is the new carafe
 , =
more
angular than the previous but functionally identical. 
Height 14.8", Width 12", Depth 7.1"
Technivorm KBTS
Color: Chrome 
$192.50 (+12 Lbs. shipping) 
 
 add to =
cart
Technivorm KBT 741 
Color: Chrome 
$200 (+12 Lbs. shipping) 
 
 add to =
cart
 
On 4/9/07, Claus Thøgersen  >
wrote:
    Hi,
During the easter I visitted my parents, they live about 200 kilometers =
from
here. As usual like in most other places they serve standard industrial
coffee, and if my father is in charge he is making it too weak, a nasty
experience.
They have however bought a new Technivorm, and one that seems to be a =
newer 
model than the models on the sm site.
This one looks like the classic models, the one with the  glass carof, =
but
instead of the glass carof placed on a heat element, there is a tall =
thermos
placed on the counter in a carved out hole in the machine itself, really =
good design!
So they have done  away with the terrible design of the first model with =
a
thermos and just redesigned the classic model. Here in Denmark it costs =
a
lot of money, something like 50 dollars more than the older models, but =
it 
is really a nice machine, and if you have to spend to much on an =
electrical
coffee maker this is the one to go for!
I do not have the model number or any picture of the machine sorry!
Claus ThøgersenCheers, It's in there -RayO, aka Opa!
-- 
"When the theme hits the bass, I dance the Jig!" - -Virgil Fox at the =
Mighty
Wichita (ex- NYC Paramount) WurliTzer- 1976 
-- 
Cheers,
Bretthttp://homeroast.freeservers.com
-- 
Cheers,
Bretthttp://homeroast.freeservers.com

14) From: Floyd Lozano
 i definitely tried to find these, but alas, i entered the game a month too
late and they were nowhere to be found.   You can get a presto new for like
$70, but hell I figured I'd just get a TV then.  I dig the swank shagadelic
look on my countertop.  The chrome sorta matches the Rocky.  Now I just need
to find a nice SS espresso machine.  I hear there might be a few out there.
Of course I have less money for greens, but I'm sitting on like 100lb stash
already (and I just ordered a wee bit more from SM, who can say no to
Nutella / Toblerone coffee, and the famed nuggets!) so perhaps that's a
blessing in disguise too!
-F
  On a lesser investment, you could have considered the Melitta Clarity, or
<Snip>

15) From: Justin Marquez
On 4/9/07, Leo Zick  wrote:
<Snip>
Here is a repeat of a review I did on my drip machine.  It is readily
available now for $100-105 new.
I promised y'all a review of the Cuisinart DCT-975 coffee pot after
Sept 2.  Here 'tis.
Overall impression – It is a nice mostly black plastic auto drip
machine.  It has a 24-hr clock, is programmable to come on
automatically, beeps when it is done brewing.  It brews up to "12
cups" directly into a thermal carafe which is touted to keep coffee
hot for hours.  It uses #4 cone filters, and the box came with a
sealed pack of about 6 filters included – which I though was a real
nice touch. And, it makes real good coffee, too.
Details –
Brew Temp is always a serious question to be answered for a consumer
grade drip machine. This unit attained the following temperatures
during a 12-cup brew cycle:
After       TEMP, Deg F
2 min               200
6 min               204
7 min               206
9 min               207
10 min+           208
The tip of the thermometer was slipped thru the top lid cover into the
brew mix and left there the entire cycle.
As a cross check on my new digital thermometer obtained at Wal-Mart, I
zapped a cup of water in the microwave until vigorously boiling,
pulled it out and measured it as 209 Deg F here in Rosehill, TX,
elevation about 135 ft.
It took between 10 and 11 minutes to brew all 12 cups. And, "12 cups"
means about 66 ounces of fluid on this unit.
The thermal carafe performance was measured as well. I pre-heated the
carafe with hot tap water measured at 122 Deg. The initial coffee temp
in the carafe was measured as 187 Deg right after brewing finished.
One hour and 40 minutes later, the carafe contents were at 172 Deg F.
Seven hours after brewing, the carafe contents were measured at 143
Deg and the coffee still was plenty hot to drink. The carafe lid has
"pour" and "close" markings, which work as anticipated.  The pouring
is accomplished without dribbling. The lid unscrews completely for
cleaning.
The flavor of the coffee was excellent. We brewed using 20 gr of SM's
Harrar DECAF + 40 gr Panama  Carmen1800+ Meter.  It was excellent
immediately after brewing and 7 hours later as well.
Cleanup is easy.  The cone holder swings straight out in front and
slips out for cleaning.
Cost – Cuisinart lists the coffee pot for about $200, but it is
readily available at about $130. I found (and bought)  a factory
refurb with new Cuisinart warranty for about $90, including shipping.
 Safe Journeys and Sweet Music
Justin Marquez (CYPRESS, TX)

16) From: Karl Harder
Hi Sheila
I have a Melitta Clarity and think it is great.
Yes I think is a discontinued model, but it works.
It works so good that I have not even unpacked the TV.
Karl


HomeRoast Digest