HomeRoast Digest


Topic: OT: Pete's = Starbucks? (13 msgs / 668 lines)
1) From: miKe mcKoffee
Sometimes you can be pleasantly surprised in possibly unexpected places.
Saturday evening we went out for dinner and a movie. After dinner had a bit
of time to kill so Debi wanted to stop by Pete's to pick-up some Mango Tea
for iced tea. Often online Pete's gets lumped with Charbucks quality wise.
The pleasant clerk informed us that type/level of purchase entitled us to a
free cup of coffee. Debi said she's was too stuffed from dinner and didn't
care for any right now, I on the other hand had had a short night's sleep so
thought what the heck and asked if it could be a straight shot. He replied
sure credit can be applied to any beverage. I did mention/warn I was a bit
picky roasting my own coffees and having a light duty commercial espresso
setup at home. He asked if any particular way you'd like it? I replied just
double shot normale pulled around 22 to 28 seconds would be fine. No problem
was the reply. Of course I already knew Pete's had the equipment to produce
quality shots, LM Swift Grinder and LM machine. He wasn't the barista,
turned to her as she asked any special request. I replied just ceramic not
paper cup please. She replied of course and proceeded. Now their Major
Dickason's blend is roasted darker than I prefer though not extremely dark,
a good Vienna so remained open minded to the potential since also know if
pulled properly darker roasts can be a quite nice shot. She handed me the
ceramic cup, beautiful deep dark but not too dark thick crema with no hints
of blonding and said as much as I took the cup. Inhaled deeply and commented
on the nice fragrance. Swirled it a bit more and watched the crema persist
as I took a sip. Temp about spot on for the blend, no hint of bitter or
sour. Nice deep, rich and smooth taste. She asked how it was and I
complimented her on the pull. After my second sip also commented their roast
was a bit darker than I preferred and added that the shot was very good. She
asked why lighter roast so I replied because a bit lighter brings out more
varietal character of the various beans in the blend as opposed to roast
notes. Did not say it in a condescending way and no one was offended. I also
mentioned nothing wrong with a their darker roast for espresso just a
different style. While the shot was on the house I did of course leave a
deserved tip. 
This was only the second time I've had a shot from Pete's. The other time
was while traveling in California a couple years ago, forget where exactly
but on the way back from Fort Bragg. It was also pulled well and that time
Debi also had a right nice cappuccino.
On other note while perusing their for sale roasted coffee bins noticed both
Sumatra Mandheling and Aged Sumatra, found that cool.
I can honestly say I've never had a satisfactory cup or whole bean from
Starbucks in my life, before or after starting home roasting. Personally I
find Pete's a definite major cut above Charbucks.
Pacific Northwest Gathering VIhttp://home.comcast.net/~mckona/PNWGVI.htmKona Konnaisseur miKe mcKoffee
URL to Rosto mods, FrankenFormer, some recipes etc:http://www.mckoffee.com/Ultimately the quest for Koffee Nirvana is a solitary path. To know I must
first not know. And in knowing know I know not. Each Personal enlightenment
found exploring the many divergent foot steps of Those who have gone before.
Sweet Maria's List - Searchable Archiveshttp://themeyers.org/HomeRoast/

2) From:
Thanks for the post Mike.
Reminds me of last Saturday at work. One of the guys was going to get coffee at the local starbucks, asked if I wanted anything, no I said.
He comes back with one of those frozen things including a 4oz small cup with the leftover from making his order...
I said gee thanks, my first taste was of burned coffee. How anyone can remotely consider this stuff good is beyond me! Now they get to pay another dime for the pleasure of drinking  horrid stuff.
ginny
---- miKe mcKoffee  wrote: 
<Snip>

3) From: Stephen Carey
--=====================_83468421==.ALT
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"; format=flowed
I have to comment here, if that is okay.  I am so new to all of this 
that my comments should be taken with that in mind.  However, my 
taste buds have been working for a long time - though to be fair I am 
a ton of medication, some of which can mess up some flavors.
Anyway, with very little experience, though a ton of reading, I feel 
kind of vindicated that others think Starbucks isn't dark, but 
burnt.  That has always been my assessment.  Now, I have friends and 
clients who love it.  I don't argue with them, isn't my place, but I 
have just always had a feeling that the way it was roasted was not 
the best way for the bean.  And when they get gifts of nicely roasted 
coffee for the holidays they will be spoiled, at least that is my plan:)
To be fair, if you gave me their beans I can't say that at this point 
I can do better, but I will say I can come close just from what I 
have learned from you all, the Web and some books, plus by puny three roasts.
If people really like what they are buying, more power to them, but 
if they are buying it because it is the "in" thing to do I feel bad 
for them.  Though, to again be fair, I have done my share of things 
because it or they were the in thing to be doing - usually in the 
clothes department.
The way I can tell that people are learning is that downtown, about 
15 minutes from where I live, there are two Starbucks, a Caribou, and 
two private coffee shops.  One of the private coffee shops would have 
to work and learn for years to be an equal to Starbucks, I can't even 
get a sip down.  But the other place is usually packed, people can 
watch the roasting going on for the roaster is right there in the 
seating area.  Some of the final roasts the guy buys, many, if not 
most, he does himself.  The cool thing is that many of his costumers 
are former Starbucks' customers.  They have tasted both and found a 
difference, a quality difference.  A dark coffee doesn't mean a burnt 
coffee and because the line of people waiting is to the door it 
doesn't mean a good cup of coffee is to be had.
God Bless them, it works for them.  I don't think they are evil or 
mean, they just don't get that people will drink better coffee.  I do 
wonder why their roast and brewing has taken off like it 
has.  Something must be working for them.
Personally, I think it is a way for some people to get what they 
"think" is a special coffee and it is a way to be extravagant, which 
almost all of us like at times.  Heck, for me, getting into roasting 
could be called an extravagant choice, but in the end, I pay less, 
drink coffees I would never have been exposed to and get to drink 
what I like, the way I like it.  I think it is just fine that way.
At 01:03 PM 7/25/2007, you wrote:
<Snip>
--=====================_83468421==.ALT
Content-Type: text/html; charset="us-ascii"
I have to comment here, if that is okay.  I am so new
to all of this that my comments should be taken with that in mind. 
However, my taste buds have been working for a long time - though to be
fair I am a ton of medication, some of which can mess up some
flavors.
Anyway, with very little experience, though a ton of reading, I feel kind
of vindicated that others think Starbucks isn't dark, but burnt. 
That has always been my assessment.  Now, I have friends and clients
who love it.  I don't argue with them, isn't my place, but I have
just always had a feeling that the way it was roasted was not the best
way for the bean.  And when they get gifts of nicely roasted coffee
for the holidays they will be spoiled, at least that is my
plan:)
To be fair, if you gave me their beans I can't say that at this point I
can do better, but I will say I can come close just from what I have
learned from you all, the Web and some books, plus by puny three
roasts.
If people really like what they are buying, more power to them, but if
they are buying it because it is the "in" thing to do I feel
bad for them.  Though, to again be fair, I have done my share of
things because it or they were the in thing to be doing - usually in the
clothes department.
The way I can tell that people are learning is that downtown, about 15
minutes from where I live, there are two Starbucks, a Caribou, and two
private coffee shops.  One of the private coffee shops would have to
work and learn for years to be an equal to Starbucks, I can't even get a
sip down.  But the other place is usually packed, people can watch
the roasting going on for the roaster is right there in the seating
area.  Some of the final roasts the guy buys, many, if not most, he
does himself.  The cool thing is that many of his costumers are
former Starbucks' customers.  They have tasted both and found a
difference, a quality difference.  A dark coffee doesn't mean a
burnt coffee and because the line of people waiting is to the door it
doesn't mean a good cup of coffee is to be had.
God Bless them, it works for them.  I don't think they are evil or
mean, they just don't get that people will drink better coffee.  I
do wonder why their roast and brewing has taken off like it has. 
Something must be working for them.  
Personally, I think it is a way for some people to get what they
"think" is a special coffee and it is a way to be extravagant,
which almost all of us like at times.  Heck, for me, getting into
roasting could be called an extravagant choice, but in the end, I pay
less, drink coffees I would never have been exposed to and get to drink
what I like, the way I like it.  I think it is just fine that
way.
At 01:03 PM 7/25/2007, you wrote:
Thanks for the post
Mike.
Reminds me of last Saturday at work. One of the guys was going to get
coffee at the local starbucks, asked if I wanted anything, no I
said.
He comes back with one of those frozen things including a 4oz small cup
with the leftover from making his order...
I said gee thanks, my first taste was of burned coffee. How anyone can
remotely consider this stuff good is beyond me! Now they get to pay
another dime for the pleasure of drinking  horrid stuff.
ginny
---- miKe mcKoffee <mcKona> wrote: 
> Sometimes you can be pleasantly surprised in possibly unexpected
places.
> Saturday evening we went out for dinner and a movie. After dinner
had a bit
> of time to kill so Debi wanted to stop by Pete's to pick-up some
Mango Tea
> for iced tea. Often online Pete's gets lumped with Charbucks quality
wise.
> The pleasant clerk informed us that type/level of purchase entitled
us to a
> free cup of coffee. Debi said she's was too stuffed from dinner and
didn't
> care for any right now, I on the other hand had had a short night's
sleep so
> thought what the heck and asked if it could be a straight shot. He
replied
> sure credit can be applied to any beverage. I did mention/warn I was
a bit
> picky roasting my own coffees and having a light duty commercial
espresso
> setup at home. He asked if any particular way you'd like it? I
replied just
> double shot normale pulled around 22 to 28 seconds would be fine. No
problem
> was the reply. Of course I already knew Pete's had the equipment to
produce
> quality shots, LM Swift Grinder and LM machine. He wasn't the
barista,
> turned to her as she asked any special request. I replied just
ceramic not
> paper cup please. She replied of course and proceeded. Now their
Major
> Dickason's blend is roasted darker than I prefer though not
extremely dark,
> a good Vienna so remained open minded to the potential since also
know if
> pulled properly darker roasts can be a quite nice shot. She handed
me the
> ceramic cup, beautiful deep dark but not too dark thick crema with
no hints
> of blonding and said as much as I took the cup. Inhaled deeply and
commented
> on the nice fragrance. Swirled it a bit more and watched the crema
persist
> as I took a sip. Temp about spot on for the blend, no hint of bitter
or
> sour. Nice deep, rich and smooth taste. She asked how it was and
I
> complimented her on the pull. After my second sip also commented
their roast
> was a bit darker than I preferred and added that the shot was very
good. She
> asked why lighter roast so I replied because a bit lighter brings
out more
> varietal character of the various beans in the blend as opposed to
roast
> notes. Did not say it in a condescending way and no one was
offended. I also
> mentioned nothing wrong with a their darker roast for espresso just
a
> different style. While the shot was on the house I did of course
leave a
> deserved tip. 
> 
> This was only the second time I've had a shot from Pete's. The other
time
> was while traveling in California a couple years ago, forget where
exactly
> but on the way back from Fort Bragg. It was also pulled well and
that time
> Debi also had a right nice cappuccino.
> 
> On other note while perusing their for sale roasted coffee bins
noticed both
> Sumatra Mandheling and Aged Sumatra, found that cool.
> 
> I can honestly say I've never had a satisfactory cup or whole bean
from
> Starbucks in my life, before or after starting home roasting.
Personally I
> find Pete's a definite major cut above Charbucks.
> 
> Pacific Northwest Gathering VI
>
http://home.comcast.net/~mckona/PNWGVI.htm> 
> Kona Konnaisseur miKe mcKoffee
> URL to Rosto mods, FrankenFormer, some recipes etc:
>
http://www.mckoffee.com/> Ultimately the quest for Koffee Nirvana is a solitary path. To know
I must
> first not know. And in knowing know I know not. Each Personal
enlightenment
> found exploring the many divergent foot steps of Those who have gone
before.
> 
> Sweet Maria's List - Searchable Archives
>
http://themeyers.org/HomeRoast/
> 
> 
>
> homeroast mailing list
>
http://lists.sweetmarias.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast> To change your personal list settings (digest options, vacations,
unsvbscribes) go to
http://sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html#personalsettingshomeroast mailing list
http://lists.sweetmarias.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroastTo change your personal list settings (digest options, vacations,
unsvbscribes) go to
http://sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html#personalsettings--=====================_83468421==.ALT--

4) From: Justin Marquez
As we say in the South:
       "Well... Bless their heart!"
Safe Journeys and Sweet Music
Justin Marquez (CYPRESS, TX)
On 7/25/07, Stephen Carey  wrote:
<Snip>

5) From: scott miller
There's a coffee shop near me that serves an iced mocha with raspberry
flavor added to it. It's often their "feature drink." Hey, I like mochas
every once in a blue moon. It was hot & I wanted something over ice and the
PBTC suggested it, so why not?
I was getting over a cold, so my taster wasn't in top form, but there's no
mistaking an absolutely scorched shot! I mean, this thing had me WISHING for
a *$ drink.
I don't know how this shop stays open 'cuz I'm not alone in noticing how
wretched their coffee is. Attractive shop. Decent food menu. They missed out
on the whole coffee side of things... 
cheers,
Scott
On 7/25/07, pchforever  wrote:
<Snip>

6) From: John Brown
i don't like Starbucks myself, i have always thought thier coffee was 
bitter.
<Snip>

7) From:
Stephen:
Thanks for your comments. Iiked your mention of >>Personally, I think it is a way for some people to get what they  "think" is a special coffee and it is a way to be extravagant<<<
We humans are a very funny bunch. I have friends who think they must go to  Neiman Marcus or Tommy Bahama's for quality. Sure the fit of a nice silk shirt cannot be beat but to buy a Mr. Coffee for $500 bucks is stupid....
Starbucks is now an AMERICAN BRAND, everyone wants Starbucks just like they want anything from California. As long as we have people who will/can spend extra for a particular BRAND the prices will only go up.
Most families don't have time to home roast coffee. No one sits out on their balcony or patio any longer to roast coffee, not in america anyway. To our great grandparents  this was almost a religious experience. To have your fresh coffee.
I am told that my Great, Great Grandmother Dutchie roasted the best coffee in San Francisco. The neighborhood folks came around to have coffee a spoon could stand up
in...
while I may not roast a dark as great granny, I feel the roots of coffee roasting with each batch I roast.
ginny
---- Stephen Carey  wrote: 
<Snip>

8) From: TERRY TITSWORTH
A recently opened coffee shop in the area near where I work was the only
place I gave thought to while my roaster was in ICU due to my klutsyness. It
receives it beans [roasted] from a roaster in Seattle. [This place claims to
have also been in on the $130.00 lbs. purchase of central american beans.] i
could stand the lack of coffee no longer and entered the establishment where
I ordered an Americano. After assuring the bar keep I knew what an americano
was, and yes I understood it has no milk, he took my money and began the
process. Shortly I was provided with a cup of dark liquid which when tasted,
had a pleasant tasted as coffee should. I explained the reason why I was in
the place and agreed to return at a later time to sample their espresso.
Sunday I did just that and having had a good experience with the americano,
anticipated a good shot of espresso. Now, right up front I will say I have
NEVER had an espresso from anyplace that could be considered knowledgeable
about really fresh or really good coffee. Every espresso I have had to this
point has been a bitter nasty cup of swill. Unfortunately I STILL haven't
had anything but bitter swill. The shot I received was also a bitter cup of
joe. The gentleman who took my order both time, I am assuming may be the
owner, asked me what I thought of the shot and I told him it was bitter. He
stepped back and spoke with the lady that pulled the shot, and I heard her
reply, "It's espresso, it's going to be bitter."
I left shortly after that having failed to finish the shot. Maybe someday I
will be somewhere and find out what all ya'll are raving about. Until then I
will have to settle for my pourovers and French pressed coffee.
TerryT
On 7/25/07, miKe mcKoffee  wrote:
<Snip>
-- 
Start HOT and work your way Down...
Peppers AND Coffee.
[|:{O....[|:{U...
(I'm the tall guy in the middle)

9) From: Barry Luterman
This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
Terry there must be one of us near where you live or travel. Certainly, =
if you get to Hawaii you are welcome to come over and try an espresso =
made right at my home.

10) From: TERRY TITSWORTH
Hawaii, Hummmm, I've seen pictures......
Being in the north-east corner of Oklahoma, I don't run into many folks who
"do their own" espresso. I don't know why.
I have tried on several occasions to get into the Doubleshot but can't seem
to make it to the near downtown location. The time I did make it I had a
Costa Rica brewed so I could sorta see where my roast was suppose to be in
taste. [Smack] "I coulda had an Espresso!" (sorry v-8 folks).
But thanks for the kind offer Barry. Unless Ed McMann drops by I probably
won't be in your area for a while.
TerryT
On 7/25/07, Barry Luterman  wrote:
<Snip>
-- 
Start HOT and work your way Down...
Peppers AND Coffee.
[|:{O....[|:{U...
(I'm the tall guy in the middle)

11) From: Tom & Maria - Sweet Maria's Coffee
I kid myself into thinking I have had decent Starbucks - but the fact 
is that if you are traveling, many things taste good if they are 
simply "not bad". I am only refering to starbucks lighter roasts of 
"single origin" coffees such as brazil ipanema, colombia narino and 
their black apron coffees (which frankly, are like lower grade, 
generic versions of things we all know about too well, but they 
announce then with such flair that their customers think they are so 
rare and special: ethiopia harar (ever heard of it?) or el salvador 
pacamara.)
anyway, peets has a good quality program, known to buy decent coffee, 
and watch their (over) roasting pretty carefully. I can smell the 
coffee burning at their plant every time i go pick up some odds and 
ends at home depot, about 5 minutes from here. i know their cuppers, 
skilled people, perhaps making up for the fact that they have a deep 
sense of their own importance. i met jim reynolds a couple times a 
while back and he was the opposite, very nice guy, probably one of 
the true legends of coffee that seems to have been passed over in all 
the forum chatter.
tom
--
                   "Great coffee comes from tiny roasters"
            Sweet Maria's Home Coffee Roasting  -  Tom & Maria
                      http://www.sweetmarias.com                Thompson Owen george_at_sweetmarias.com
     Sweet Maria's Coffee - 1115 21st Street, Oakland, CA 94607 - USA
             phone/fax: 888 876 5917 - tom_at_sweetmarias.com

12) From: Andy Thomas
----- Original Message ----
From: miKe mcKoffee 

13) From: Kris McN
BATDORF & BRONSON!!!  Ack!  I'm having flashbacks!  I did my undergrad at
The Evergreen State College in Olympia and B&B were my introduction to good
coffee.  They had only just opened, and it was the first time I'd ever seen
a coffee roaster, let alone fresh roasted beans.  I ended up buying my first
whirly blade grinder to partake.  Really beyond my budget at the time, but
sitting in the cafe drinking a cap with the big roaster and the smell of
fresh-roasted beans all seemed very grown-up, hip, European, bohemian.
Yeah, I think I smoked clove cigarettes at the time too.  GAH, how
embarrassing!  In my defense, I was all of 19.  I think they changed their
name to Dancing Goats at some point.  I haven't been back in well over 15
years.  I'll have to stop by some time on my way to Seattle and see if it
lives up to my fond memories.
Kris McN
On 7/25/07, Andy Thomas  wrote:
<Snip>


HomeRoast Digest