HomeRoast Digest

Topic: Thermometer question (13 msgs / 239 lines)
1) From: True, Dennis W. FC1 (CVN69)
This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
I have a Digital Thermometer from SM's and I was wondering where is the
recommended places to go to get different Probes for it?

2) From: Bill Morgan
I'm not sure about different probes, but extra identical probes are athttp://www.techbuys.net/tl-108.html.RATS.  Well, they were at that address, and I'll leave it here just in case
it comes back, but the site seems to be gone.
Rats, I say.  Rats.
On 9/20/07, True, Dennis W. FC1 (CVN69)  wrote:

3) From: Michael Dhabolt
The TC is a 'K' type, google for it and you'll get a zillion hits.  I
usually buy my TC stuff from Omega (one of the 'old timer' companies
in temperature measurement and control).  You don't have to go very
far to beat their prices.  If you are wearing the insulation and that
is the reason for replacement you might consider getting a probe
instead.  In a pinch you can get one almost anyplace that sells decent
Volt / Ohm meters.  If there isn't an open near the plug (standard
miniature thermocouple plug) you can just clean a little bit of the
two wires at the end and twist them together (tightly) - will work
just fine....for a while.
Mike (just plain)

4) From: Michael Dhabolt
If you are at sea, check with the Enginemen or Auxiliarymen (not sure
what that would relate to in Skimmer talk).  They should have some K
type thermocouples for use as Exhaust temperature indicators for
diesel engines. The aviation type mechanics may also have what you
need.  You'll probably have to cut the mini plug off of your old one
and twist the wires to the same wires (color coded, should be yellow
and red wires) of the new ThermoCouple.  Don't use crimp connectors or
anything - has to be a direct connect to the wire (such as twisting
and covering the connection with shrink tube or tape).  You might get
lucky and find one with the mini connector instead of the full size

5) From: Robert Joslin
     As of November 06 they were available through Techbuys.net as Bill has
said.  The TL-108 "K" type units are $2.95 each plus (WOW) $8.73 shipping
and handling.  I bought two.  Service was prompt.
On 9/20/07, True, Dennis W. FC1 (CVN69)  wrote:

6) From: True, Dennis W. FC1 (CVN69)
Mine is working fine I have my "Coupler" mounted in my RK and I wanted
to be able to use the thermometer else where so instead of uninstalling
the coupler I wanted to get another one so I could just move the unit
and keep the coupler mounted in my RK...
Thanks for all the great info everybody, just one of the gazillion
reasons I love the list!

7) From: George
This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
Thermometer questiohttp://www.technika.com/navpage/tprobes.htmI bought =
the 800062 with the 8" probe for $32 plus shipping

8) From: Eddie Dove
I use this one with my multimeter ...  would it work with that thermometer?http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_03482377000P?vName=Tools&keyword=thermocoupleJust curious,
Vita non est vivere sed valere vita est
Roasting Blog and Profiles for the Gene Cafehttp://southcoastcoffeeroaster.blogspot.com/On 9/20/07, True, Dennis W. FC1 (CVN69)  wrote:

9) From: Bill Morgan
That looks like the right connector.  I'll save that link.
On 9/21/07, Eddie Dove  wrote:

10) From: raymanowen
Just enter "thermocouples" in your search engine.
The meter will work properly with any type K thermocouple with a
miniature connector and any length of leadwire. Some of the companies
you find will have application engineers and 800 (WATS) phone numbers.
You could also get a rotary switch and switch the meter to read any of
several different type K thermocouples. (They would all have to be
type K.)
Or, how about a multi channel multicolored trace chart recorder? With
Jeffrey Pawlan's controller, there'd be no more excuses. Plot your
profile, and maybe you could sell it.
Cheers, Mabuhay -RayO, aka Opa!
On 9/20/07, True, Dennis W. FC1 (CVN69)  wrote:
"When the theme hits the bass, I dance the Jig!" - -Virgil Fox at the
Mighty Wichita (ex- NYC Paramount) WurliTzer- 1976

11) From: Rich
Hee is a source of thermocouple probes.http://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.asp?UID07092115290608&catname=&byKeyword=yes&search=thermocouple
On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 13:38:21 -0600, raymanowen wrote:

12) From: George
These probes only go up to 400 degrees F.  Rated for use from -85 degrees F 
to 400 degrees F. Accurate within +/- 4 degrees. 1/8" dia x 4" long 
stainless steel probe mounted to plastic handle
 This is too low.  What you need is a high temp probe that goes well beyond 
400 deg F.
I use the 8" shaft one I listed before thru access holes in the covers of my 
Bravi and Zach & Danny's.  I wish there was a way to use it in the two 
GeneCafres I have. The Zach at end of roasts in the beans measures between 
410 and 435 degrees normally.  In the Bravi it reads about the same range 
for the roast style I like and it's in the air.  Check the specs on the one 
SM has and you will see it's a high temp probe.

13) From: Rich
The rating is for the plastic handle, take it off.  A type K thermocouple works.  They do have for the 
exact same $15.00 one with the high temp plastic and good to 900 degrees.  Same page.  Almost all 
type Ks are +/- 4 degree accuracy.  There is no way the change the accuracy of a thermocouple, it is 
either factional or it is not.  I am quite familiar with the art and science of thermocouples, in depth.
I was trying to save someone several dollars, sorry.
On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 16:55:44 -0400, George wrote:

HomeRoast Digest