HomeRoast Digest


Topic: Harar Horse to FC++ (10 msgs / 299 lines)
1) From: Stephen Carey
Hi, all.  I was roasting a batch of Harar Horse and went a bit far, 
to FC++, at most.  Slight oily patch on some beans can be seen.  Have 
I ruined this batch or can I still serve it to guests in two days?  I 
read and read and still get confused on when I am really at FC, FC+, 
and FC++, which I think is close to Viennese.
I really wanted to serve this coffee and have roasted it before and 
hit it quite nicely.  I started with the wrong profile and then ran 
long due to a distraction - logs rolling out of the fireplace - all 
in all, not a great roasting atmosphere.
I am wondering if you think I can serve this and have it be a decent 
cup of coffee.  If not, I can roast more or something else, but I am 
hoping not to waste this.  I may be over thinking this also.  I still 
get nervous with the truly special coffees, though, to me, they are 
all special as I continue to learn all about them.
Thoughts - don't worry, my feelings don't get hurt.  I want to learn.
Stephen

2) From: Dave
Here's an idea...
try making a cup and see how it is.
-- 
Dave
Some days...
It's just not worth chewing through the leather straps
On Oct 30, 2007 3:15 PM, Stephen Carey  wrote:
<Snip>

3) From: Gary Townsend
We learn more from our mistakes than from our successes.
Harar is a very forgiving coffee, it tastes differently at different roast
levels.
I would not hesitate to run it through my espresso machine...that's what
cappo's are for ;-) 
Give it a chance, before condemning it as a ruined roast.
Some of my best coffees were initially mistakes.
If it tastes truly horrible, then yeah chuck it out!
You might be totally surprised after a 3 to 5 day rest period.
Gary
On 10/30/07, Stephen Carey wrote:
<Snip>

4) From: gin
Stephen:
Toss that great horse into a mason jar and let it sit around on the sink for about a week.
I should be awesome stuff.
ginny
---- Stephen Carey  wrote: 
<Snip>

5) From: Stephen Carey
--=====================_941252265==.ALT
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"; format=flowed
Thanks.  My taste buds are still all metallic from this last hospital 
stay and surgery so I can't really tell, yet I want to serve it on 
Friday, sounds like it might just be quite good.  Plus, this group of 
people, who know coffee, would never say anything unless I asked them 
- trust me, then they would open up.  Which is good, as was written, 
we learn from our mistakes.
Stephen
At 08:39 AM 10/31/2007, you wrote:
<Snip>
--=====================_941252265==.ALT
Content-Type: text/html; charset="us-ascii"
Thanks.  My taste buds are still all metallic from this
last hospital stay and surgery so I can't really tell, yet I want to
serve it on Friday, sounds like it might just be quite good.  Plus,
this group of people, who know coffee, would never say anything unless I
asked them - trust me, then they would open up.  Which is good, as
was written, we learn from our mistakes.
Stephen
At 08:39 AM 10/31/2007, you wrote:
Stephen:
Toss that great horse into a mason jar and let it sit around on the sink
for about a week.
I should be awesome stuff.
ginny
---- Stephen Carey <steve> wrote: 
> Hi, all.  I was roasting a batch of Harar Horse and went a bit
far, 
> to FC++, at most.  Slight oily patch on some beans can be
seen.  Have 
> I ruined this batch or can I still serve it to guests in two
days?  I 
> read and read and still get confused on when I am really at FC, FC+,
> and FC++, which I think is close to Viennese.
> 
> I really wanted to serve this coffee and have roasted it before and
> hit it quite nicely.  I started with the wrong profile and then
ran 
> long due to a distraction - logs rolling out of the fireplace - all
> in all, not a great roasting atmosphere.
> 
> I am wondering if you think I can serve this and have it be a decent
> cup of coffee.  If not, I can roast more or something else, but
I am 
> hoping not to waste this.  I may be over thinking this
also.  I still 
> get nervous with the truly special coffees, though, to me, they are
> all special as I continue to learn all about them.
> 
> Thoughts - don't worry, my feelings don't get hurt.  I want to
learn.
> 
> Stephen
> 
>
> homeroast mailing list
>
http://lists.sweetmarias.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast> To change your personal list settings (digest options, vacations,
unsvbscribes) go to
http://sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html#personalsettingshomeroast mailing list
http://lists.sweetmarias.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroastTo change your personal list settings (digest options, vacations,
unsvbscribes) go to
http://sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html#personalsettings--=====================_941252265==.ALT--

6) From: Jeff Oien
We may consider FC++ too dark for what we wanted in a roast but that 
roast level may actually be preferable to guests. Plus because of how 
uneven Harar is, there are going to be some lighter beans in there that 
will retain its characteristic flavors. Along with Harar holding up well 
in darker roasts in general.
JeffO
Stephen Carey wrote:
<Snip>

7) From: True, Dennis W. FC1 (CVN69)
Steve,
	Remember the darker version of the IMV that I sent? Well it
should be close to that versus the lighter roast...for comparisons sake.
Best judgment your crap is tons better than what 95% of the popluation
has ever tasted... I wouldn't worry about it as long as they are not
solid oil and black (stop by starbucks for a reference) you should be
just fine!
Dennis

8) From: Stephen Carey
--=====================_943033000==.ALT
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"; format=flowed
I feel better already.  They are not black or covered in oil, but 
they are on that line between FC+ and FC++ from MY VERY LIMITED 
experience.  Thanks for the encouragement.  And I do remember the 
darker IMV, it still rocked from what I am used to before roasting, 
and even then it was excellent.  I should have such great mistakes, Dennis.
At 10:19 AM 10/31/2007, you wrote:
<Snip>
--=====================_943033000==.ALT
Content-Type: text/html; charset="us-ascii"
I feel better already.  They are not black or covered
in oil, but they are on that line between FC+ and FC++ from MY VERY
LIMITED experience.  Thanks for the encouragement.  And I do
remember the darker IMV, it still rocked from what I am used to before
roasting, and even then it was excellent.  I should have such great
mistakes, Dennis.
At 10:19 AM 10/31/2007, you wrote:
Steve,
        Remember
the darker version of the IMV that I sent? Well it
should be close to that versus the lighter roast...for comparisons
sake.
Best judgment your crap is tons better than what 95% of the
popluation
has ever tasted... I wouldn't worry about it as long as they are not
solid oil and black (stop by starbucks for a reference) you should
be
just fine!
Dennis
--=====================_943033000==.ALT--

9) From: Steve
I feel compelled to say that I once overroasted some Harrar (not Lot
30 but from the same year) and went from an organic blueberry kind of
taste to a... well..  it kind of tasted like baby diapers smell.  It
was really bad.  But YMMV.
On Oct 31, 10:25 am, Stephen Carey  wrote:
<Snip>

10) From: Floyd Lozano
You sure it was Lot 30 and not Anohki? ;)
-F
On 10/31/07, Steve  wrote:
<Snip>


HomeRoast Digest