HomeRoast Digest


Topic: OT Message from Ghana on roasting (18 msgs / 546 lines)
1) From: homeroast
 I received this message on my blog site today. It was nice to realize
that America is still considered as a place of hope. I wish I had the
situation to help.
dk said...
    Hi Ed,
    Found your blog spot while researching coffee roasters. Still
trying to find one we can afford. I am in West Africa trying to
develop a coffee project here. I want to buy coffee from the farmers
at a increase in price from them and roast it locally for consumtion.
No one is roasting locally grown coffee in Ghana. I've been getting
good response about the flavor of the beans, but just roasting them on
top of the stove doesn't cut it. Any idea or help you can give me? Can
you come to Africa and build one for us? Thanks dk

2) From: homeroast
This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------020509080603030704050301
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
ROAD TRIP!!!
Actually, how cool would it be to say "I'm going to Ghana to build a 
coffee roaster."?
John
Edward Bourgeois wrote:
<Snip>
-- 
John A C Despres
Hug your kids
616.437.9182
Scene It All Productions 
JD's Coffee Provoked Ramblings 
--------------020509080603030704050301
Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
  
  
ROAD TRIP!!!
Actually, how cool would it be to say "I'm going to Ghana to build a
coffee roaster."?
John
Edward Bourgeois wrote:
   I received this message on my blog site today. It was nice to realize
that America is still considered as a place of hope. I wish I had the
situation to help.
dk said...
    Hi Ed,
    Found your blog spot while researching coffee roasters. Still
trying to find one we can afford. I am in West Africa trying to
develop a coffee project here. I want to buy coffee from the farmers
at a increase in price from them and roast it locally for consumtion.
No one is roasting locally grown coffee in Ghana. I've been getting
good response about the flavor of the beans, but just roasting them on
top of the stove doesn't cut it. Any idea or help you can give me? Can
you come to Africa and build one for us? Thanks dk
homeroast mailing list
">http://sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html#personalsettings  ">http://lists.sweetmarias.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroastTo change your personal list settings (digest options, vacations, unsvbscribes) go to http://sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html#personalsettings  
-- 
John A C Despres
 
  John A C Despres
  John A C Despres
  14
  17
  2004-08-19T12:50:00Z
  2008-01-11T19:46:00Z
  1
  32
  187
  1
  1
  218
  11.5606
 
 
  Print
  75
  Clean
  Clean
  
  false
  false
  false
  MicrosoftInternetExplorer4
 
 
 
<!--
 /* Style Definitions */
 p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{mso-style-parent:"";
	margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman";
	mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;
	text-underline:single;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;
	text-underline:single;}
@page Section1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;
	mso-header-margin:.5in;
	mso-footer-margin:.5in;
	mso-paper-source:0;}
div.Section1
	{page:Section1;}
-->
 /* Style Definitions */
 table.MsoNormalTable
	{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
	mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
	mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
	mso-style-noshow:yes;
	mso-style-parent:"";
	mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
	mso-para-margin:0in;
	mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
	font-size:10.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman";
	mso-ansi-language:#0400;
	mso-fareast-language:#0400;
	mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

John A C Despres

Hug your kids

616.437.9182 Scene It All Productions

JD’s Coffee Provoked Ramblings

--------------020509080603030704050301--

3) From: homeroast
--Apple-Mail-67-999067404
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charsetNDOWS-1252;
	format=flowed;
	delsp=yes
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
What a coincidence...
We are actually doing the same in Ecuador...
We know we can combine forces and make a plan for such a machine
that is fairly easy to build with materials that can be found locally.
It doesn't have to be a beauty functions is much more important.
Ries
On Jan 16, 2008, at 9:59 AM, John Despres wrote:
<Snip>
<Snip>
<Snip>
<Snip>http://sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html#personalsettings<Snip>
--
Ries van Twisk
Freelance TYPO3 Developer
email: ries
web:  http://www.rvantwisk.nl/skype: callto://r.vantwisk
Phone: + 1 810-476-4193
--Apple-Mail-67-999067404
Content-Type: text/html;
	charsetNDOWS-1252
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

What = a coincidence...
We are actually doing the = same in Ecuador...We know we can combine forces and make a = plan for such a machinethat is fairly easy to build with = materials that can be found locally.It doesn't have to be a = beauty functions is much more important.
Ries ROAD = TRIP!!! Actually, how cool would it be to say "I'm going to Ghana = to build a coffee roaster."? John Edward = Bourgeois wrote: I received this message on my blog site today. It was nice = to realize that America is still considered as a place of hope. I wish I had the situation to help. dk said... Hi Ed, Found your blog spot while researching coffee roasters. Still trying to find one we can afford. I am in West Africa trying to develop a coffee project here. I want to buy coffee from the farmers at a increase in price from them and roast it locally for consumtion. No one is roasting locally grown coffee in Ghana. I've been getting good response about the flavor of the beans, but just roasting them on top of the stove doesn't cut it. Any idea or help you can give me? Can you come to Africa and build one for us? Thanks dk homeroast mailing list --  John A C DespresHug your = kids616.437.9182 Scene It All ProductionsJDs Coffee = Provoked = Ramblings --Ries van = TwiskFreelance TYPO3 Developeremail: riesweb: =   http://www.rvantwisk.nl/s=kype: callto://r.vantwiskPhone: = ;+ 1 = 810-476-4193
= = --Apple-Mail-67-999067404--

4) From: homeroast
Ries
Please tell us a little more about your project.
On Jan 16, 2008 10:24 AM, ries van Twisk  wrote:
<Snip>

5) From: homeroast
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1
I have a few 'connections' in Ghana from my Seminary days.  Locals
associated with the Ghanian Presbyterian Church.
If road trip, I may be able to find a temporary home for someone...;-)
Jason
<Snip>
- --
Jason Brooks
jbrookshttp://javajeb.wordpress.com-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (GNU/Linux)
iD8DBQFHji2Z9j4JPk+fq00RAk86AJ969X7A7oY/hpnXi5gNyKS2xiHHkgCgyVN/
/zTRuXfU89UvKPq44S3SSX8=
=/04M
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

6) From: homeroast
Can you come to Africa and build one for us?
Oh I'm Loveing that line!!!!
Wish I could go!!!
Dennis
<Snip>
<Snip>
<Snip>
- --
Jason Brooks
jbrookshttp://javajeb.wordpress.com-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (GNU/Linux)
iD8DBQFHji2Z9j4JPk+fq00RAk86AJ969X7A7oY/hpnXi5gNyKS2xiHHkgCgyVN/
/zTRuXfU89UvKPq44S3SSX8=
=/04M
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

7) From: homeroast
I had a discussion last year with a well known coffee traveler. In
many areas of the world where coffee is grown there is a void in
available roasters for even farmers or co-ops to properly sample their
coffee.Many farmers have never done so.
On Jan 16, 2008 11:15 AM, Jason Brooks  wrote:
<Snip>

8) From: homeroast
Soooo, they sell the beans without even knowing the taste or the 
quality? Any idea at what point their beans are tasted for the first 
time up the line?
I see a non-profit firm building here... Roasters for Africa.
John
Edward Bourgeois wrote:
<Snip>
-- 
John A C Despres
Hug your kids
616.437.9182
Scene It All Productions 
JDs Coffee Provoked Ramblings 

9) From: homeroast
Kinda leaves them at the mercy of the buyers and makes it hard to
improve their crop. If done at all roasting is very crudely done.
Maybe Tom could tell us what he has seen.
Homeroast World Missionaries?
On Jan 16, 2008 11:48 AM, John Despres  wrote:
<Snip>

10) From: homeroast
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1
I've heard of missionaries in Central/South America that enter with the
goal of improving coffee crops.  But I know nothing more than that.
So, there are 'grounds' on which to stand...
<Snip>
- --
Jason Brooks
jbrookshttp://javajeb.wordpress.com-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (GNU/Linux)
iD8DBQFHjjti9j4JPk+fq00RAmf5AKCGLIVKXdQhXouGOTyiLhXWhEw0gwCeLwue
HuRMjjlDIF164m4HV22Bd0I=
zq
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

11) From: homeroast
------=_Part_17465_11740953.1200506563894
Content-Type: text/plain; charsetO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline
Building a roaster? How bought a group formed to donate a Behmor to them. It
would be a start if they have any power. I assume that would be the the main
hurtle over there. Most power is probably 208 or 220.
JoeR
On Jan 16, 2008 9:14 AM, Jason Brooks  wrote:
<Snip>
------=_Part_17465_11740953.1200506563894
Content-Type: text/html; charsetO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline
Building a roaster? How bought a group formed to donate a Behmor to them. It would be a start if they have any power. I assume that would be the the main hurtle over there. Most power is probably 208 or 220. 
JoeR
On Jan 16, 2008 9:14 AM, Jason Brooks <jbrooks> wrote:
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1
I've heard of missionaries in Central/South America that enter with the
goal of improving coffee crops.  But I know nothing more than that.
So, there are 'grounds' on which to stand...
<quote who="Edward Bourgeois">
> Kinda leaves them at the mercy of the buyers and makes it hard to
> improve their crop. If done at all roasting is very crudely done.
> Maybe Tom could tell us what he has seen.
> Homeroast World Missionaries?
>
> On Jan 16, 2008 11:48 AM, John Despres <
john>
> wrote:
>> Soooo, they sell the beans without even knowing the taste or the
>> quality? Any idea at what point their beans are tasted for the first
>> time up the line?
>>
>> I see a non-profit firm building here... Roasters for Africa.
>>
>> John
>>
>>
>> Edward Bourgeois wrote:
>>
>> >I had a discussion last year with a well known coffee traveler. In
>> >many areas of the world where coffee is grown there is a void in
>> >available roasters for even farmers or co-ops to properly sample their
>> >coffee.Many farmers have never done so.
>> >
>> >On Jan 16, 2008 11:15 AM, Jason Brooks <jbrooks> wrote:
>> >
>> >
>> >>-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
>> >>Hash: SHA1
>> >>
>> >>I have a few 'connections' in Ghana from my Seminary days.  Locals
>> >>associated with the Ghanian Presbyterian Church.
>> >>
>> >>If road trip, I may be able to find a temporary home for someone...;-)
>> >>
>> >>Jason
>> >><quote who="Edward Bourgeois">
>> >>
>> >>
>> >>
>> >>> I received this message on my blog site today. It was nice to
>> realize
>> >>>that America is still considered as a place of hope. I wish I had the
>> >>>situation to help.
>> >>>dk said...
>> >>>
>> >>>    Hi Ed,
>> >>>    Found your blog spot while researching coffee roasters. Still
>> >>>trying to find one we can afford. I am in West Africa trying to
>> >>>develop a coffee project here. I want to buy coffee from the farmers
>> >>>at a increase in price from them and roast it locally for consumtion.
>> >>>No one is roasting locally grown coffee in Ghana. I've been getting
>> >>>good response about the flavor of the beans, but just roasting them
>> on
>> >>>top of the stove doesn't cut it. Any idea or help you can give me?
>> Can
>> >>>you come to Africa and build one for us? Thanks dk
>> >>>
>> >>>homeroast mailing list
>> >>>
http://lists.sweetmarias.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast>> >>>To change your personal list settings (digest options, vacations,
>> >>>unsvbscribes) go to
>> >>>http://sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html#personalsettings>> >>>
>> >>>
>> >>>
>> >>- --
>> >>Jason Brooks
>> >>jbrooks
>> >>http://javajeb.wordpress.com>> >>
>> >>-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
>> >>Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (GNU/Linux)
>> >>
>> >>iD8DBQFHji2Z9j4JPk+fq00RAk86AJ969X7A7oY/hpnXi5gNyKS2xiHHkgCgyVN/
>> >>/zTRuXfU89UvKPq44S3SSX8=
>> >>=/04M
>> >>-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
>> >>
>> >>
>> >>
>> >>homeroast mailing list
>> >>http://lists.sweetmarias.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast>> >>To change your personal list settings (digest options, vacations,
>> unsvbscribes) go to
>> http://sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html#personalsettings>> >>
>> >>
>> >>
>> >
>> >homeroast mailing list
>> >http://lists.sweetmarias.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast>> >To change your personal list settings (digest options, vacations,
>> unsvbscribes) go to
>> http://sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html#personalsettings>> >
>> >
>> >
>> >
>>
>> --
>>
>> John A C Despres
>>
>> Hug your kids
>>
>> 616.437.9182
>> Scene It All Productions <http://www.sceneitallproductions.com/>>>
>> JD's Coffee Provoked Ramblings
>> <http://jdscoffeeprovokedramblings.blogspot.com/>>>
>>
>>
>>
>> homeroast mailing list
>> http://lists.sweetmarias.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast>> To change your personal list settings (digest options, vacations,
>> unsvbscribes) go to
>> http://sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html#personalsettings>>
>
> homeroast mailing list
> http://lists.sweetmarias.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast> To change your personal list settings (digest options, vacations,
> unsvbscribes) go to
> http://sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html#personalsettings>
- --
Jason Brooks
jbrooks
http://javajeb.wordpress.com-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (GNU/Linux)
iD8DBQFHjjti9j4JPk+fq00RAmf5AKCGLIVKXdQhXouGOTyiLhXWhEw0gwCeLwue
HuRMjjlDIF164m4HV22Bd0I=
zq
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
homeroast mailing list
http://lists.sweetmarias.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroastTo change your personal list settings (digest options, vacations, unsvbscribes) go to 
http://sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html#personalsettings------=_Part_17465_11740953.1200506563894--

12) From: homeroast
So a Behmor and a transformer.
On 1/16/08, Joseph Robertson  wrote:
<Snip>
-- 
Larry J

13) From: homeroast
For Ghana,If they could get their hands on a BBQ we could put together
a RK setup since they want to get into small production.
On Jan 16, 2008 1:08 PM, Larry Johnson  wrote:
<Snip>

14) From: homeroast
I thought they mentioned that they only had gas.  I suspect electricity 
is hard to come by.
Edward Bourgeois wrote:
<Snip>

15) From: homeroast
RK with hand crank in BBQ or converted gas oven or cut in half metal
barrel with gas burner
On Jan 16, 2008 4:05 PM, Rich  wrote:
<Snip>

16) From: homeroast
Even if they had electricity over there.  They make universal power 
adapters with all the plug end types that can handle 108 - 240 vac 50 / 
60 Hz and convert it to the 115 needed for the behmor,  and can handle 
1500 watts.   I can get one for about ten bucks at cost.  Throw that 
into the deal and they can run it on pretty much whatever passes for 
power over there.  The behmor even with the light on inside doesn't take 
1500 watts that I have seen.
Aaron

17) From: homeroast
On Jan 16, 2008, at 5:22 PM, Edward Bourgeois wrote:
<Snip>
I'll bet they have 12V available, so even using a surplus windshield  
wiper motor should be doable. If not, then a 12V battery and PV  
charger should be doable, though not dirt cheap.
-
allon

18) From: homeroast
Add a clock work motor to turn the drum.
Edward Bourgeois wrote:
<Snip>


HomeRoast Digest