HomeRoast Digest


Topic: Roast time too fast in IR2 (13 msgs / 285 lines)
1) From: sci
I have owned an IR2 for about 4 months. I can't get the thing to slow the
roasts down. I hardly ever roast to 2nd crack. But even a full city roast
only takes about 6-7 minutes. My city roasts are done in 5-6 minutes. My
line voltage is 125 volts. I do roast indoors with vent hood so ambient temp
is roughly the same all the time. Is there any reliable and easy way to slow
this thing down so that my city roasts go longer? I know I could go outside,
but that might only work in the winter because it gets pretty hot here in
the summer.
What's in my cup: Sidamo DP, City+, French Press method =
supercalafragalistic
Homeroast mailing list
Homeroasthttp://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/listinfo.cgi/homeroast-sweetmariascoffee.com

2) From: Allon Stern
On Feb 28, 2008, at 5:05 PM, sci wrote:
<Snip>
What's your profile?
-
allon
Homeroast mailing list
Homeroasthttp://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/listinfo.cgi/homeroast-sweetmariascoffee.com

3) From: Ross
Sci,
Here are a few things you can try:
Use a 100ft extension cord and maybe even a string of Christmas lights 
between the outlet and your I-Roast.
Roast smaller batches about 3/4 cup vs. 1 cup.
Take the vent hood off, if you have an overhead vent just use that without 
the hood.
Go outside, it will perform better without the vent hood.
Use a 350 for 10 minute program see what happens.
Get a Variac and set 110v or 115v (a large investment to fix an I-Roast, 
better to keep that for your next roaster)
Leave the chaff lid off or just let it float so it lets more air out faster.
If all that fails.  Be happy with a 7 minute Full City that's not too far 
off the best you can expect with the I-Roast.
Good Luck,
Ross

4) From: David Schooley
On 2/28/08, Ross  wrote:
<Snip>
No.
Homeroast mailing list
Homeroasthttp://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/listinfo.cgi/homeroast-sweetmariascoffee.com

5) From: sci
<Snip>
Stage 1: 320 @ 3 min.
Stage 2: 400  @  3 min. (I have tried lower temps here, but it doesn't
matter. 375 will get the same temp                                    as
400 because of the fan speed thing I mention below.
Stage 3: 450 @ 5 min. (but I rarely get to this stage unless I want full
city or vienna)
I have a nice temperature probe inserted into the chamber via a hole I
drilled in the chaff collector. It works great. Never use the flaky onboard
thermo anymore. Nearly all of my first cracks start between 370F and 385F
and end between 400F and 420F. So typically, I hit the cool/end roast button
around 410-420 for City+ and that usually occurs at about 5-6 minutes into
the roast, depending on whether I have 5.3 oz of beans or 4 oz. I have tried
longer Stage 1 (320@ 4 min.) but it doesn't matter. Truth is, the IR2's temp
settings are just ball-park estimates since it controls temp with fan speed
and there are just three fan speeds.
*A tip for other IR2 users*: when you hit the cool button, gently loosen the
chaff collector housing and the airflow will surge because of less
resistance. A small amount of chaff will flurry out, but the beans will
screech halt to a nonroasting temperature in about 15 seconds. Nice. Just
don't loosen the housing too much or a few beans will jump out. If it was
Mexican coffee, that would make them...Ahahhh...Mexican Jumping Beans :-)
Let me add that I still get fantastic coffee with the IR2 that isn't too
bright like some very short cycle air popper roasts. I just want to sl o o o
w it down and see if I can get a better result on some particular beans.
Thanks
CIS
"Homeroasters of the World, UNITE! You have nothing to loose but your
Charbucks"
<Snip>
Homeroast mailing list
Homeroasthttp://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/listinfo.cgi/homeroast-sweetmariascoffee.com

6) From: Seth Grandeau
sci, you can unlock the chaff collector during the roast cycle and let it
bleed off some heat (and chaff).  When I roast outside, particularly with
chaffy coffees like IMV, I open the top and bleed off heat/chaff.
On 2/28/08, sci  wrote:
<Snip>
Homeroast mailing list
Homeroasthttp://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/listinfo.cgi/homeroast-sweetmariascoffee.com

7) From: Allon Stern
I disagree that it doesnt matter and that the ir2 only uses fan speed  
to modulate the heat.
I get about 8 minutes to 410 on my thermocouple with:
320 for 3 min
340 for 2 min
375 for 2 min
390 until EOR
Hope this helps
-
allon
On Feb 28, 2008, at 10:07 PM, sci  wrote:
<Snip>
Homeroast mailing list
Homeroasthttp://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/listinfo.cgi/homeroast-sweetmariascoffee.com

8) From: sci
Thanks allon, It is worth a try.
I have 8 profiles programmed in right now, but it is really somewhat of a
joke that the IR2 has sophisticated profile capability. I suspect your line
voltage is lower than mine (or that I have a flaky unit--always a
possiblity). On my IR2, there is simply no temperature difference in the
chamber between settings of 320 and 340, or even 375 for that matter. Take
this for example: if I program stage 1 @ 320 for 4 minutes, insert 5.3oz of
beans, insert thermocouple, and hit start, this is what happens: the temp
rises steadily to about 390ish then Stage 2 begins by slowing the fan down.
It is really  misleading that one can vary their temperature by 5 degree
increments. All that I've read on posts affirm the 3 speed fan method of
temp regulation.
As for the idea of barely opening the chaff  housing during roasting, to
bleed off heat, I might try outside because it will blow chaff everywhere. I
did it once, but put it back on after 10 seconds. But, I didn't buy the IR2
so I would have to go outside and freeze during the roast. I have also tried
to use the extension cord method, but to no avail. However, I wasn't too
persistent, just tried it once.
<Snip>
Homeroast mailing list
Homeroasthttp://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/listinfo.cgi/homeroast-sweetmariascoffee.com

9) From: Carole Zatz
I also have an IR2 that runs hot. The profile I've had the best luck with is:
385 / 5 minutes
420 / 1 minute
345 / 5 minutes
400 / 4 minutes
It hardly ever gets to the 4th stage, but it's there if you need it. I
roast indoors with my vent hood running on full and a window cracked
open across the room. The second stage pushes it into first crack and
then the rapid slowdown to 345 extends the time until the second crack
starts. With some beans it takes getting into the fourth stage for
second crack to start. It's still not very easy to do a City but City+
and darker are quite do-able with this profile ... at least on my
machine. Might be worth a try.
On 2/28/08, sci  wrote:
<Snip>
Homeroast mailing list
Homeroasthttp://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/listinfo.cgi/homeroast-sweetmariascoffee.com

10) From: Bob Hazen
When I was using my IR1, I used 5 minutes for the first stage as you are 
suggesting rather than the commonly used 3 minutes.  It was the single most 
effective improvement in taste I found.
Bob

11) From: Carole Zatz
On 2/29/08, Bob Hazen  wrote:
<Snip>
ost
<Snip>
That was really important. Also the fact that I really had to go to a
much lower temperature after first crack started in stage 2.
Slow ramp up, first crack in stage 2, second crack starts usually at
the end of stage 3 but sometimes it needs a bit in stage 4. Stage 4 is
sort of there as insurance. I typically end up with a 9  12 minute
roast.
My first IR2 died and the second one I got behaved totally differently
(very very hot) so I had to start at square one to figure out workable
profiles again. Took a while but this works pretty well.
Homeroast mailing list
Homeroasthttp://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/listinfo.cgi/homeroast-sweetmariascoffee=.com

12) From: Mike Sieweke
The iRoast (1 or 2) adjusts both the fan and heater to modulate
the heat.  It has a temperature sensor, and it really does try
to keep the set temperature, but most are badly calibrated.
Mine runs up to 100 degrees on the hot side.
Here are some tips that I've picked up in various places on the
net:
- The temperature is limited to 350 degrees for the first 3 minutes,
no matter what you program in.  This can give you an extra stage on
an iR1.  For example, program 390x6:00 and you get 350x3:00,390x3:00.
Note that this is 350 degrees of programmed temperature.  If yours
runs hot, the air temperature will be higher than 350.
- The fan is limited based on the set temperature range:
   320-385 - high fan only
   390-410 - high or medium fan
   415-485 - high, medium, or low fan
Because of this limit and the fact that most iRoasts are poorly
calibrated, it may seem there are only three temperature settings
corresponding to these fan speed ranges.
- The roasting temperature varies a great deal depending on the amount
of chaff.  You may want to block half of the chaff lid with a piece
of aluminum foil when roasting decaf, to raise the temperature and
speed the roast.
Mike
Homeroast mailing list
Homeroasthttp://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/listinfo.cgi/homeroast-sweetmariascoffee.com

13) From: Ross
Dave,
I tried the extension cord trick and it didn't work that's why I suggested 
the X-mas lights as a joke!  I also tried the Variac and it did help slow 
down my I-Roast but I don't recommend the Variac because the money could be 
better spent on other coffee stuff.  The other things I suggested all work a 
little bit.  My I'Roast will go to second crack on a strait 350 program but 
your mileage will vary.  I-Roast machines have huge variances as evidenced 
by comments on this list.  Trying to follow someone else's program on the 
I-Roast is an exercise in futility in my opinion, better to trust your 
senses and hit the cool button at the appropriate time.  If all you get is 7 
minutes on a low temp program you have to accept what you get or get another 
roaster.
Ross


HomeRoast Digest