HomeRoast Digest


Topic: may have screwed up my Silvia :-( (6 msgs / 126 lines)
1) From: Sandy Andina
So I was up late last night and forgot to turn my Silvia off when I  
went to sleep.  Woke up this morning to discover it had been on all  
night.  Pulled a double shot, or tried to--the pump made noise but  
nothing seemed to come out till I jiggled the hoses in the tank. Was  
able to pull a couple of cappas about an hour later but forgot to turn  
off the steam switch (got a lot on my emotional plate these days and I  
have been getting somewhat distracted). It had been over a year since  
I descaled, and I figured sediment might be the problem, so I ran my  
last packet of Cleancaf through the machine (alternating between the  
hot water switch/steamwand and the grouphead).  Followed up with a  
couple of tanks of filtered water.  Had planned to do a water  
backflush, but the fact that the flow stopped unless I played with the  
hoses made me wary of doing that, lest I blow the pump out.  I will  
let the machine cool completely and see what happens (yes, I turned it  
off this time).  This ever happen to anyone else?
Sandy Andina
www.myspace.com/sandyandina
Homeroast mailing list
Homeroasthttp://www.homeroasting.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemIdx20">http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/listinfo.cgi/homeroast-sweetmariascoffee.comHomeroast community pictures 9upload yours!) :http://www.homeroasting.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemIdx20

2) From: Mike Koenig
Sandy,
The guts of the Silvia aren't too complicated,  so it the pump is
running, and you have no leaks, you should be OK.  Have you tried
running some water out the steam pipe using the hot water switch
(steam valve open)? Shake the hoses if you need to get it started.  If
the flow keeps going, let it run for a while to get all the air out of
the boiler.
--mike
On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 11:31 PM, Sandy Andina  wrote:
<Snip>
Homeroast mailing list
Homeroasthttp://www.homeroasting.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemIdx20">http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/listinfo.cgi/homeroast-sweetmariascoffee.comHomeroast community pictures 9upload yours!) :http://www.homeroasting.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemIdx20

3) From: Jim Gundlach
Sandy,
     It has been a couple of years since I ran a Silvia, but it sounds  
like you may have air/vapor in the system.  Fill the tank and open the  
valves.  Make sure you keep the tank full while you pump water through  
the steam wand.  Do this a few times and only turn the machine on when  
you are trying to pump water through the system, you want to keep it  
cool while you are working on getting the air out.  Once it is going,  
go ahead and run a fair amount of water through it.
     pecan jim
On Apr 3, 2008, at 10:31 PM, Sandy Andina wrote:
<Snip>
Homeroast mailing list
Homeroasthttp://www.homeroasting.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemIdx20">http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/listinfo.cgi/homeroast-sweetmariascoffee.comHomeroast community pictures 9upload yours!) :http://www.homeroasting.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemIdx20

4) From: Sandy Andina
That's exactly what I did, per the descaling video on the WLL  
website:  run 10 oz. out the steam pipe using the hot water (not the  
steam) switch which I hit first and immediately opened the valve using  
the knob, turn off the hot water switch, wait for all the water to  
exit the steam pipe and close the valve, wait for the boiler light to  
go off +30 sec., run about 6-8 oz. out the grouphead using the brew  
switch, turn off the switch when the light comes back on (jiggle/pinch  
the hoses if nec.), wait 30 sec. past the light going off again and  
repeat.   I found that if I left the steam valve open, with or without  
the hot water switch on, the hot water turned to steam.  I think there  
might be air bubbles no matter what I do.  However, this morning I  
turned on the machine, went back to bed, and brewed a shot a couple of  
hours later.  Again, I had to jiggle the hoses, but the shot came out  
a little thin but with enough crema, and it really blossomed flavor- 
and-aroma-wise with just a squirt of hot water. (Using Ancora's  
espresso blend--I bought 1/2 lb. for use between running out of Rocket  
Fuel yesterday and waiting for my latest batch to outgas. Bought the  
Ancora when I performed at its Fitchburg, WI store Tues night--but  
that's another thread).  Anyway, doing a water backflush x 3 seems to  
have helped immensely--was able to build a pair of cappas just now w/o  
jiggling hoses. (And this time I remembered to turn off the steam  
switch).
On Apr 4, 2008, at 8:01 AM, Mike Koenig wrote:
<Snip>
Sandy Andina
www.myspace.com/sandyandina
Homeroast mailing list
Homeroasthttp://www.homeroasting.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemIdx20">http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/listinfo.cgi/homeroast-sweetmariascoffee.comHomeroast community pictures 9upload yours!) :http://www.homeroasting.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemIdx20

5) From: J.W.Bullfrog
If it still gets hot, and pumps water, it still (probably) good.
On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 1:46 PM, Sandy Andina  wrote:
<Snip>
-- 
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Homeroast mailing list
Homeroasthttp://www.homeroasting.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemIdx20">http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/listinfo.cgi/homeroast-sweetmariascoffee.comHomeroast community pictures 9upload yours!) :http://www.homeroasting.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemIdx20

6) From: Sandy Andina
That it does.  Makes me all the more anxious to get either my Livia or  
Magister back in good working order, though!
On Apr 4, 2008, at 2:19 PM, J.W.Bullfrog wrote:
<Snip>
Sandy Andina
www.myspace.com/sandyandina
Homeroast mailing list
Homeroasthttp://www.homeroasting.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemIdx20">http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/listinfo.cgi/homeroast-sweetmariascoffee.comHomeroast community pictures 9upload yours!) :http://www.homeroasting.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemIdx20


HomeRoast Digest