HomeRoast Digest


Topic: Coffee clues (15 msgs / 270 lines)
1) From: John M. Howison
Can anyone tell me about the coffee habits and coffee preferences of
Obama and McCain?   Surelh this information would be important in
deciding which would be the better president.
Homeroast mailing list
Homeroasthttp://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemIdx20">http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/listinfo.cgi/homeroast-sweetmariascoffee.comHomeroast community pictures -upload yours!) :http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemIdx20

2) From: Jim Gundlach
The McCains are raw unroasted chaff, Michelle is City  and Obama  
Cinnamon.
        pecan jim
On Jun 26, 2008, at 4:44 AM, John M. Howison wrote:
<Snip>
Homeroast mailing list
Homeroasthttp://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemIdx20">http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/listinfo.cgi/homeroast-sweetmariascoffee.comHomeroast community pictures -upload yours!) :http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemIdx20

3) From: David Martin
Absolutely, this is of utmost importance. Unfortunately the media
never focus on the right issues, so we have to dig deep and apply some
analysis to see where the candidates stand.
Here are some facts:
  - When asked to name one of his bad habits, McCain said "coffee".
  - Obama was offered coffee at a diner in Indiana, and asked for
orange juice instead.
McCain clearly is a coffee drinker, but the fact that he named it as a
"bad habit" means he has no concept of quality. He's a user, not an
aficionado.
Obama's case is more interesting. Does he not consume coffee at all,
or did he ask for OJ because he knows what kind of brew to expect from
an diner in Indiana?
So on the one hand, we know where McCain stands on this issue, but
it's not a very impressive platform. Obama, on the other hand, would
seem to be an unknown quantity. However, there is one more data point
- Obama smokes tobacco, and everyone knows most smokers also drink
coffee. Therefore, Obama's strange behavior in Indiana can only mean
one thing - he's a guy who knows a what a quality cup of coffee is,
and won't settle for swill. My vote goes to Obama.
-Dave
On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 2:44 AM, John M. Howison  wrote:
<Snip>
Homeroast mailing list
Homeroasthttp://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemIdx20">http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/listinfo.cgi/homeroast-sweetmariascoffee.comHomeroast community pictures -upload yours!) :http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemIdx20

4) From: Brian Kamnetz
Great analysis, Dave. Very well thought out.
Brian
On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 4:04 PM, David Martin  wrote:
<Snip>
Homeroast mailing list
Homeroasthttp://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemIdx20">http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/listinfo.cgi/homeroast-sweetmariascoffee.comHomeroast community pictures -upload yours!) :http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemIdx20

5) From:
But most smokers I know don't have the taste buds to really know a good cuppa so I disagree with that assumption.
The same is true to a lesser scale for heavy pepper users, which is true of the SW regions like AZ and NM. 
:-)
Homeroast mailing list
Homeroasthttp://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemIdx20">http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/listinfo.cgi/homeroast-sweetmariascoffee.comHomeroast community pictures -upload yours!) :http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemIdx20

6) From: Bryan Wray
...Because you know a diner in Indiana would have to have great orange juice... haha.
-Bry
P.S.- Didn't we already discuss this?  Or it was in the paper or something?  I heard it somewhere.  I think the AP did a report...  I'll dig around.
"It is my hope that people realize that coffee is more than just a caffeine delivery service, it can be a culinary art"- Chris Owens of Cafe Grumpy in NYC.
--- On Thu, 6/26/08, David Martin  wrote:
<Snip>
Homeroast mailing list
Homeroasthttp://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemIdx20">http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/listinfo.cgi/homeroast-sweetmariascoffee.comHomeroast community pictures -upload yours!) :http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemIdx20

7) From: Bryan Wray
That was an easy find...http://www.charleston.net/news/2007/dec/13/personal_side_how_presidential_candidates_take_the/And for those that don't want to read it:
"Illinois Sen. Barack Obama: Black, but rarely drinks it"
"Arizona Sen. John McCain: Cappuccino or coffee with cream and sugar"
I stand by my earlier assumptions:  I'm not sure I like either.
:0)
-Bry
"It is my hope that people realize that coffee is more than just a caffeine delivery service, it can be a culinary art"- Chris Owens of Cafe Grumpy in NYC.
--- On Thu, 6/26/08, Bryan Wray  wrote:
<Snip>
Homeroast mailing list
Homeroasthttp://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemIdx20">http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/listinfo.cgi/homeroast-sweetmariascoffee.comHomeroast community pictures -upload yours!) :http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemIdx20

8) From: Frank Awbrey
I'm not a smoker, but do like my peppers. Maybe that's my problem?
Frank, in Flagstaff
On 6/26/08, ckevinj  wrote:
<Snip>
-- 
Frank
"Still the one"
Homeroast mailing list
Homeroasthttp://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemIdx20">http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/listinfo.cgi/homeroast-sweetmariascoffee.comHomeroast community pictures -upload yours!) :http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemIdx20

9) From: David Martin
That's great information, Bry.
It supports my point about McCain. That embarrassing "cream and sugar"
detail belies his tough-guy image.
However, this new data about Obama is disturbing. On the positive
side, he drinks it black, and most likely he rarely drinks it because
it's so hard to find a decent cup of black coffee. However, if he were
really motivated, he'd find a source of good beans. So much for "Yes
we can". Not sure who I'll vote for now.
On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 1:17 PM, Bryan Wray
 wrote:
<Snip>
Homeroast mailing list
Homeroasthttp://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemIdx20">http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/listinfo.cgi/homeroast-sweetmariascoffee.comHomeroast community pictures -upload yours!) :http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemIdx20

10) From: miKe mcKoffee
<Snip>
Assumptions and generalizations rarely make for a solid foundation.
I smoke and yet am a somewhat advanced culinarian coffee and food wise. 
Alchemist John is a bit of pepperhead with absolutely no top end to heat
tolerance and yet also is an excellent culinarian coffee and food wise.
I suppose to a great extent it depends if someone is a super taster to
whatever degree to begin with. (higher concentration of taste buds than
normal)
Said with no illusions or self deceptions knowing full well that if I ever
kick this expensive unhealthy smoking addiction my palate would go up
another knotch.
Pacific Northwest Gathering VIIhttp://www.mcKonaKoffee.comURL to Rosto mods, FrankenFormer, some recipes etc:http://www.mckoffee.com/Ultimately the quest for Koffee Nirvana is a solitary path. To know I must">http://home.comcast.net/~mckona/PNWGVII.htmKona Konnaisseur miKe mcKoffeehttp://www.mcKonaKoffee.comURL to Rosto mods, FrankenFormer, some recipes etc:http://www.mckoffee.com/Ultimately the quest for Koffee Nirvana is a solitary path. To know I must
first not know. And in knowing know I know not. Each Personal enlightenment
found exploring the many divergent foot steps of Those who have gone before.
Sweet Maria's List - Searchable Archiveshttp://themeyers.org/HomeRoast/Homeroast mailing list
Homeroasthttp://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemIdx20">http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/listinfo.cgi/homeroast-sweetmariascoffee.comHomeroast community pictures -upload yours!) :http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemIdx20

11) From: Ken B
Heh...based on that analysis, I should just go and drink Folgers, since 
I smoke AND enjoy pepper. (black, red, Thai chili's, etc.)  Hmmm, 
perhaps that is why I prefer the more robust and brooding coffees and 
really do not like the light, bright ones? ;-)
Best Regards,
ken B
ckevinj wrote:
<Snip>
Homeroast mailing list
Homeroasthttp://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemIdx20">http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/listinfo.cgi/homeroast-sweetmariascoffee.comHomeroast community pictures -upload yours!) :http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemIdx20

12) From: Brian Kamnetz
On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 5:34 PM, miKe mcKoffee  wrote:
<Snip>
That reminds me of one of my favorite Red Green lines:
"I know it's not good to generalize, but it's something I'm really good at!"
Brian
Homeroast mailing list
Homeroasthttp://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemIdx20">http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/listinfo.cgi/homeroast-sweetmariascoffee.comHomeroast community pictures -upload yours!) :http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemIdx20

13) From: Bryan Wray
miKe said: "Said with no illusions or self deceptions knowing full well that if I ever
kick this expensive unhealthy smoking addiction my palate would go up
another knotch."
...Yea, but isn't it kinda fun? Haha.
-Bry
"It is my hope that people realize that coffee is more than just a caffeine delivery service, it can be a culinary art"- Chris Owens of Cafe Grumpy in NYC.
--- On Thu, 6/26/08, miKe mcKoffee  wrote:
<Snip>
Homeroast mailing list
Homeroasthttp://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemIdx20">http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/listinfo.cgi/homeroast-sweetmariascoffee.comHomeroast community pictures -upload yours!) :http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemIdx20

14) From: Sandy Andina
My thoughts exactly. But let's see what happens when he's pressing the  
flesh at a Starbucks.
Sandy Andina
www.myspace.com/sandyandina
On Jun 26, 2008, at 3:04 PM, David Martin wrote:
<Snip>
Homeroast mailing list
Homeroasthttp://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemIdx20">http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/listinfo.cgi/homeroast-sweetmariascoffee.comHomeroast community pictures -upload yours!) :http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemIdx20

15) From: Sandy Andina
Are you sure that he doesn't just drink cappas when Cindy orders them  
for him (she seems like she probably owns and knows her way around a  
massive superauto machine? Or, perish the thought, think that what  
comes out of those gas-station mini-mart machines is "cappuccino")?
Sandy Andina
www.myspace.com/sandyandina
On Jun 26, 2008, at 3:17 PM, Bryan Wray wrote:
<Snip>
Homeroast mailing list
Homeroasthttp://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemIdx20">http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/listinfo.cgi/homeroast-sweetmariascoffee.comHomeroast community pictures -upload yours!) :http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemIdx20


HomeRoast Digest