HomeRoast Digest


Topic: Free Coffee or Superior coffee tasters wanted! (10 msgs / 492 lines)
1) From: Mike McGinness
Here's the deal. I find myself in a similar boat to Lubos: Too many
different coffee experiments to carry out plus really wanting outside
feedback. More tasters are better than one!
I've just received the oxygen absorber packets I ordered - the packets
purported to be able to bring oxygen content down reliably to 0.01%. (Not
great service, took 2 1/2 weeks!) I was surprised to read on the packet
"oxygen & carbon dioxide absorber'. CO2 was never mentioned on the website
or my phone conversation, will be interesting to see how degassing affects
their effectiveness. But then, I don't have a way to 'measure' actual oxygen
content anyway!  I plan on using in combination with vac'ing my roasts.
Especially for travel. I'm hoping this will work to make the grind vac
packets I make for my wife to take to work even better too.
Proposal/request. I'm requesting a couple volunteers to sample coffee I'll
send you! It's that simple. What I'm thinking is I'll roast my usual 1/3#
greens batch (BB profiled of course), which yields 1/4#+ and split it into
three different storage methods. I know this would be a somewhat strange
amount, about 1.33oz., but leave it to your individual Coffee Expertise to
brew it properly, whether single larger brews or multiple smaller Presses or
Pulls;-)
 1) A zip lock bag. 2) Vacuum sealed pouch. 3) Vacuum sealed pouch with 25cc
Fresh Pak oxygen absorber packet.
Your coffee choices are:
Panama Hartmann Songbird 02 (SM) (have lots of it, good stuff but not as
good as La Berlina or Maunier IMNSHO...)
Captain Cook Kona 02 (CCM) (cheap decent Kona... I'd give it a 7 on a scale
of 10)
JBM Moy Hall 02 (SM) (I'm just not that impressed by it as JBM goes...)
I'll and send to the first 3 to respond. (unless there are more respondents
then I'll think about it...:-) Only condition is you agree to report your
taste findings on the list!
MM;-)
Home Ju-Ju Variable Variac Rockin' Rosto Roasting in Vancouver, WA USA
homeroast mailing listhttp://lists.sweetmarias.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast

2) From: Mark A. Chalkley
I'm definitely interested.  Order of preference, FWIW:  Kona, JBM,
Panama
I'd also be glad to trade, too.
Thanks for the offer!
Mark C.
On Wednesday, September 11, 2002, 8:03:25 PM, you wrote:
MM> Here's the deal. I find myself in a similar boat to Lubos: Too many
MM> different coffee experiments to carry out plus really wanting outside
MM> feedback. More tasters are better than one!
MM> I've just received the oxygen absorber packets I ordered - the packets
MM> purported to be able to bring oxygen content down reliably to 0.01%. (Not
MM> great service, took 2 1/2 weeks!) I was surprised to read on the packet
MM> "oxygen & carbon dioxide absorber'. CO2 was never mentioned on the website
MM> or my phone conversation, will be interesting to see how degassing affects
MM> their effectiveness. But then, I don't have a way to 'measure' actual oxygen
MM> content anyway!  I plan on using in combination with vac'ing my roasts.
MM> Especially for travel. I'm hoping this will work to make the grind vac
MM> packets I make for my wife to take to work even better too.
MM> Proposal/request. I'm requesting a couple volunteers to sample coffee I'll
MM> send you! It's that simple. What I'm thinking is I'll roast my usual 1/3#
MM> greens batch (BB profiled of course), which yields 1/4#+ and split it into
MM> three different storage methods. I know this would be a somewhat strange
MM> amount, about 1.33oz., but leave it to your individual Coffee Expertise to
MM> brew it properly, whether single larger brews or multiple smaller Presses or
MM> Pulls;-)
MM>  1) A zip lock bag. 2) Vacuum sealed pouch. 3) Vacuum sealed pouch with 25cc
MM> Fresh Pak oxygen absorber packet.
MM> Your coffee choices are:
MM> Panama Hartmann Songbird 02 (SM) (have lots of it, good stuff but not as
MM> good as La Berlina or Maunier IMNSHO...)
MM> Captain Cook Kona 02 (CCM) (cheap decent Kona... I'd give it a 7 on a scale
MM> of 10)
MM> JBM Moy Hall 02 (SM) (I'm just not that impressed by it as JBM goes...)
MM> I'll and send to the first 3 to respond. (unless there are more respondents
MM> then I'll think about it...:-) Only condition is you agree to report your
MM> taste findings on the list!
MM> MM;-)
MM> Home Ju-Ju Variable Variac Rockin' Rosto Roasting in Vancouver, WA USA
MM>
MM> homeroast mailing list
MM>http://lists.sweetmarias.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast">http://lists.sweetmarias.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroasthomeroast mailing listhttp://lists.sweetmarias.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast

3) From: =?iso-8859-1?q?Bob=20Cassinelli?=
PICK ME 
ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME MEME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME MEME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME MEME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME MEME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME MEME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME MEME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME MEME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME MEME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME MEME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME MEME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME MEME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME
 
PO Box 965
Madison NJ 07940
 
 "Mark A. Chalkley" wrote:I'm definitely interested. Order of preference, FWIW: Kona, JBM,
Panama
I'd also be glad to trade, too.
Thanks for the offer!
Mark C.
On Wednesday, September 11, 2002, 8:03:25 PM, you wrote:
MM> Here's the deal. I find myself in a similar boat to Lubos: Too many
MM> different coffee experiments to carry out plus really wanting outside
MM> feedback. More tasters are better than one!
MM> I've just received the oxygen absorber packets I ordered - the packets
MM> purported to be able to bring oxygen content down reliably to 0.01%. (Not
MM> great service, took 2 1/2 weeks!) I was surprised to read on the packet
MM> "oxygen & carbon dioxide absorber'. CO2 was never mentioned on the website
MM> or my phone conversation, will be interesting to see how degassing affects
MM> their effectiveness. But then, I don't have a way to 'measure' actual oxygen
MM> content anyway! I plan on using in combination with vac'ing my roasts.
MM> Especially for travel. I'm hoping this will work to make the grind vac
MM> packets I make for my wife to take to work even better too.
MM> Proposal/request. I'm requesting a couple volunteers to sample coffee I'll
MM> send you! It's that simple. What I'm thinking is I'll roast my usual 1/3#
MM> greens batch (BB profiled of course), which yields 1/4#+ and split it into
MM> three different storage methods. I know this would be a somewhat strange
MM> amount, about 1.33oz., but leave it to your individual Coffee Expertise to
MM> brew it properly, whether single larger brews or multiple smaller Presses or
MM> Pulls;-)
MM> 1) A zip lock bag. 2) Vacuum sealed pouch. 3) Vacuum sealed pouch with 25cc
MM> Fresh Pak oxygen absorber packet.
MM> Your coffee choices are:
MM> Panama Hartmann Songbird 02 (SM) (have lots of it, good stuff but not as
MM> good as La Berlina or Maunier IMNSHO...)
MM> Captain Cook Kona 02 (CCM) (cheap decent Kona... I'd give it a 7 on a scale
MM> of 10)
MM> JBM Moy Hall 02 (SM) (I'm just not that impressed by it as JBM goes...)
MM> I'll and send to the first 3 to respond. (unless there are more respondents
MM> then I'll think about it...:-) Only condition is you agree to report your
MM> taste findings on the list!
MM> MM;-)
MM> Home Ju-Ju Variable Variac Rockin' Rosto Roasting in Vancouver, WA USA
MM>
MM> homeroast mailing list
MM>http://lists.sweetmarias.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroastPrøv betaversjonen av den nye Yahoo! Mail ">http://lists.sweetmarias.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroasthomeroast mailing listhttp://lists.sweetmarias.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroastPrøv betaversjonen av den nye Yahoo! Mail 
Nytt design, enklere å bruke, alltid tilgang til Adressebok, Kalender og Notisbok

4) From: =?iso-8859-1?q?Bob=20Cassinelli?=
WRONG!!!!!!!!!! IT'S MINE MINE MINE MINE MINE MINE MI.....
 
 "R.N.Kyle" wrote:hey mike I'll take the song bird.Ron Kyle
a coffee roaster from South Carolina
rnkyle

5) From: R.N.Kyle
This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
hey mike I'll take the song bird.
Ron Kyle
a coffee roaster from South Carolina
rnkyle

6) From: Mike McGinness
Now now Bob, easy does it, calm down, you already said (offlist) your first
choice was CCK. Well, you actually said "CCK, JBM, PSB, ASAP" ;-) It's okay
for me to send Ron some Songbird. Really. I'll still send you some. BUT I'M
NOT SENDING YOU ROASTS OF BOTH OR ALL THREE!!! :-) (unless I get in a really
goofy mood... could happen... I wonder how many back to back shots it'd
take... and you PROMISE to cup and compare and report back on all
three...;-)
BTW, this was/is primarily intended for others (other than me) to compare
and report back on the differing storage methods and how it affects the cup!
MM;-)
Home Ju-Ju Variable Variac Rockin' Rosto Roasting in Vancouver, WA USA
From: "Bob Cassinelli" 
<Snip>
homeroast mailing listhttp://lists.sweetmarias.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast

7) From: =?iso-8859-1?q?Bob=20Cassinelli?=
WHO THE HECK CAN BE CALM WHEN WE'RE ALL DOPED UP ON CAFFEINE? 
 
 Mike McGinness wrote:Now now Bob, easy does it, calm down, you already said (offlist) your first
choice was CCK. Well, you actually said "CCK, JBM, PSB, ASAP" ;-) It's okay
for me to send Ron some Songbird. Really. I'll still send you some. BUT I'M
NOT SENDING YOU ROASTS OF BOTH OR ALL THREE!!! :-) (unless I get in a really
goofy mood... could happen... I wonder how many back to back shots it'd
take... and you PROMISE to cup and compare and report back on all
three...;-)
BTW, this was/is primarily intended for others (other than me) to compare
and report back on the differing storage methods and how it affects the cup!
MM;-)
Home Ju-Ju Variable Variac Rockin' Rosto Roasting in Vancouver, WA USA
From: "Bob Cassinelli" 
<Snip>
homeroast mailing listhttp://lists.sweetmarias.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroastPrøv betaversjonen av den nye Yahoo! Mail 
Nytt design, enklere å bruke, alltid tilgang til Adressebok, Kalender og Notisbok

8) From: Les & Becky
Mike,
I'll go for the experiment if you still need another opinion.  I would
prefer any of the Panama coffees as I have all three too,
and have a good feel for them.
Les
Roasting in S. Oregon
2140 SW Burdette Dr.
Roseburg, OR  97470

9) From: Mike McGinness
I've committed to sending roast storage method samples to 5 people so that
should be plenty for feedback. Plus I need to run the same test myself! I
plan on keeping it packaged for a week (maybe two, haven't decided for sure)
then roast another batch of the same a couple days before tasting so I'll be
sampling it 4 ways....
MM;-)
Home Ju-Ju Variable Variac Rockin' Rosto Roasting in Vancouver, WA USA
homeroast mailing listhttp://lists.sweetmarias.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast

10) From: R.N.Kyle
This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
NO Way Bob, ITS MINE MINE MINE I was first said the sticky faced little =
kid. Hey mabey just mabey Mike will choose both you and me.
Ron Kyle
a coffee roaster from South Carolina
rnkyle


HomeRoast Digest