HomeRoast Digest


Topic: Triac update (35 lines)
1) From: AlChemist John
Just a quick update about the 14.5 A triac that I was wiring into the 
heater of my WBI.
The wiring went fine, (I didn't kill the unit this time :-),  I marked 
where on the dial various amperages were and started up a roast of 
Timor.  Just trying to get a feel for the "new" unit I started the roast at 
about 3 amps (out of 5 available).  Of course, changes in the dimmer also 
affected the fan speed and I had to adjust slightly for the higher fan 
speed.  At about 5 minutes the beans were yellowing nicely and starting to 
fluidize at bit more.  I increased to amps to about 4 amps and watched as 
the beans progress darker.  Around 11 minutes or so I got the first couple 
of pre cracks.  I  increased the amperage slightly, getting ready to cut 
the amps back once I was in full first crack.....never made 
it....sszzik!!  The triac burned out :-(
I quickly moved the beans into my FR and finished up the beans for a total 
roast time of 17 minutes.
I had really hoped this would work.  Oh well.  Good luck to any else who try.
I rewired in a "normal" switch to the heater and "profile" roasted another 
bath of Timor with a constant 30 seconds on, 5 seconds off for the entire 
roast.  I hit 1st crack about 9 minutes and 2nd at 13 minutes.  I'll see 
how they taste Monday.
--
John Nanci 
AlChemist at large
Roasting and Blending by Gestalt
homeroast mailing listhttp://lists.sweetmarias.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast


HomeRoast Digest