HomeRoast Digest

Topic: 1st Batch Drum Roaster (8 msgs / 165 lines)
1) From: Leonard Bergonia
With the Rosto in the shop for the third time, the air popper just not 
providing the results I needed - I decided to make a drum roaster. I had the 
grill, just needed the rotiserie, drum and a few other materials (and a few 
hours of research and construction time).
It was well worth it! After burning off any foriegn material on/in the drum, 
I did a 1# batch of Guatemalan follow by a 1/2# espresso blend - WOW! I'm 
going to make a couple enhancements to the equipment - but other than that 
the results were spectacular. A full 2# worth of roast in less than the time 
it would take me to do 1# in the Rosto. I highly recommend this method to 
everyone needing more capacity without spending the big bucks.
MSN 8 with e-mail virus protection service: 2 months FREE*  http://join.msn.com/?page=features/virus

2) From: Jim Karavias
Hi Leonard,
That sounds great!  Can you give us some details on your parts and
Jim Karavias

3) From: Jason Molinari
Yes, i agree. I used to use an Poppery. I'm now using a drum roaster. I'm still learning, but it is SO muchmore convenient. The only problem (which might not be a problem, i havnt really tried it) is doing small batches. Well actually i have done a batch that was just barely larger than my poppery batches, 100g (poppery was 85g), and it worked well..so never mind:)

4) From: Ken Mary
I purposely sized my drum for 100 cc (about 70 g) batches to match my popper
batches. Its volume is about 1 liter so the fill fraction is 10% green, 18%
to 20% roasted. If I ruin a batch, it is no great loss. The roast color is
very even so it may do more than 100 cc.

5) From: Leonard Bergonia
I used a stainless steel perforated waste can that was on clearance at 
Lowe's for about $9. The rotiserie was from Menards and ran about $30 - I 
did have to grind out a new "round" area on the rotating pole to match my 
grill, did this with a Dremel. The fins and cone were cut from a single 
sheet of 12" x 24" Aluminum sheet metal from Home Depot. I used stainless 
steel pop rivets for assembly. The reinforcement "bars" at each end were 
fabricated out of 1/8" Aluminum bar stock. I prefer the Aluminum because it 
was something I could work with. As a clamp to keep the drum from sliding 
toward the side of the rotiserie with the handle I used some kind of copper 
clamp normally used on a grounding rod (found this at HD also). The clamp 
for the other end came with the rotiserie. Hope this helps!
Add photos to your e-mail with MSN 8. Get 2 months FREE*.  http://join.msn.com/?page=features/featuredemail

6) From: Jim Karavias
Len, thanks.  It does help.  I often find myself in Home Depot thinking
about how I can use this or that for a coffee roaster.  We don't have a
Lowe's locally so I need to find another source for  a good drum.  I've been
thinking about using some stainless steel mesh collanders mounted
mouth-to-mouth on the rotisserie rod.  They're light enough that I think
they'll cool rather quickly. I could probably just take the whole assembly
out of the BBQ and hold it in front of a fan for cooling.  Some of the
antique home roasters I've seen used a spherical roasting chamber so it
seems that shape could work.  I haven't decided on how the agitators should
be mounted in such an arrangement.  When I worked in the plastics industry,
we used large mixers with a 'V' shaped container to blend raw plastic with
colorants.  They were very efficient.  I've been considering using that
shape as well but don't have a good plan for making a container like that
with the minimal set of tools that I own.  I've tried to 'draw' the shape
below with a hand crank.  As it Rotates top to bottom the mass is constantly
halved and recombined.
        /  \        +----+
       /    \       |
------/  /\  \------+
     /  /  \  \
     \_/    \_/

7) From: Ben Treichel
V shaped, of course! Brilliant yet simple. I bet you could get away with 
slower speeds. I'm also guessing that max bean load would be a little 
less than 1/2 of the volume of the bottom of the V.
Jim Karavias wrote:

8) From: Jason Molinari
ahh yes, i remember using one of these to mix up batches of grout when i worked for a cement adhesives company! It would work awesomely. The problem comes in that it would be somewhat tall, and might not fit in some grills. And as you said manufacturing it..that would be a pain:)

HomeRoast Digest