HomeRoast Digest


Topic: The limits of sampling: Was Re: Tom's efforts (7 msgs / 171 lines)
1) From: jim gundlach
I don't exactly remember how long I have been ordering coffee from Tom 
and Maria but it has been a few years now.  During this time I have had 
two cups ruined by stinker beans and found three stinkers in one roast. 
  I consider this to be quite good performance in the area of quality 
control.   With the amount of coffee they sell, they have to rely on 
sampling to insure quality.  We, or at least I, could not afford the 
coffee if every bean was inspected.  Even extensive sampling will miss 
a few bad beans.  I think we are getting the best we can expect when we 
order from Tom.
Jim Gundlach

2) From: gin
With the exception of the roasted and now greens that my sister brings from
around the world 90% of the greens I have purchased have been from Tom and
Maria. The other 10% I have tried here and there, maybe a pound at a time,
there is no comparison in quality and service.
ginny

3) From: MICHAEL GUTERMAN
gin <gin> wrote:

With the exception of the roasted and now greens that my sister brings from around the world 90% of the greens I have purchased have been from Tom and Maria. The other 10% I have tried here and there, maybe a pound at a time, there is no comparison in quality and service. ginny I have also been really happy with the beans and service from Sweet Maria's.  I have tried some other greens, and the quality has simply not been up to Tom's.  I feel like I am dealing with a person when I deal with Sweet Maria's, even though all my contact is via computer.  I like that feeling.

Michael


4) From: gin
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
MICHAE said:
 
>>even though all my contact is via computer<<
 
I know, computer service here as well and thank god 
for the internet.  Not being in Los Gatos, CA any longer running to the 
City to shop is something of dreams.
 
I feel very fortunate to have found SweetMaria's 
when I began seriously roasting last March.
 
Heck I have placed orders at 2am and they went out 
about 5 hours later!
 
That's aervice.
 
ginny

5) From: john roberts
I found this list after I started home roasting so I've enjoyed greens from
other sources but Sweet Maria has always lived up to her name.
While I find it difficult to pin down exactly what it is about S/M, they
seem to represent the spirit of coffee, whatever that is....
Life is too short to drink bad coffee... long live Sweet Marias...
JR
PS.. A friend talks about his mother who lives in the mountains of PR and
grows her own coffee,,, but so far it's all talk and no greens.

6) From: Aaron Forster
    I have not ordered green beens from any other source though I 
encounter them from time to time when cruising the internet for coffee 
info. The reason is Tom. Those monstrous reviews help me discern one 
coffee from another when I haven't tried them (trying something new over 
the internet is a real crapshoot) I think that feeling you're trying to 
pin down for me at least is trust. Reviews and a huge wealth of 
information really show that he cares about the coffee. More than I do 
which is important since he knows more about it than I do and buying 
from him I'm looking to him to be my expert.
    We go to a lot of extra effort because we really care about the 
quality of our coffee, at SM I feel that the folks I'm buying from 
actually care more than I do and that's comforting.
    On a side note I've found value his info so much that now I'm having 
trouble buying a burr grinder. I'm a little reticent to shell out a 
hunred bucks or more for a coffee grinder (especially since the main 
reason I need one is I'm thinking of buying the cona) I've found cheaper 
grinders out there but find an inherent mistrust in them since there's 
no info on SM. I just passed a Melita in Costco for $15. Trying to 
decide if I'm going back. I don't pull any espresso so I likely don't 
need anything truly fancy but I don't want to screw up my beans or get 
something that will break in two months.
john roberts wrote:
<Snip>

7) From: Rich Adams


HomeRoast Digest