Today I did my first roast of the Mexican El Olivo. I used my 1250Watt
wearever pumper and roasted about 1/2 cup or about 3.5-4.0 oz. The goal was
to reach 440° in 13 minutes using the same profile that I used for the
Colombian Mesa De Los Santos (a million thanks again to Jim). I also
collected the temps at 5sec intervals during the roast using a really fancy
digital multimeter that I borrowed. The price of this hunk of electronics
was comparable to the price of a HotTop.
I'm posting this message to show with a graph of what can happen if the
coffee roasting deities have decided to work against me. I had a really
difficult time roasting the El Olivo today using my 1250Watt wearever
pumper. The 1500Watt dimmer in my control setup has an adjustment screw
(turn it to change brightness settings ... intended for incandescent
lights). Today I bonked the 1500Watt dimmer really hard against the car. I
think I might have unintentionally "adjusted" the dimmer because I just
couldn't get the temps to stay level. Temps were either increasing too fast
or too slow. I must find/build an enclosure for my control station.
To see logged roast temps please go to:http://members.cox.net/felixdial/olivo.roast.030922.pdfIt's a PDF file. If this is a problem let me know and I'll post a jpg as
The pink squares in the photo indicate where I'm suppossed to be. The blue
marks are the logged roast temps. Note the pronounced oscillations between
~260° to 300°. I had a difficult time maintaining 10°F/min.
1st crack occurred at about 400° which was about 8.5 minutes into the roast.
Unfortunately, I had a pretty big sneezing fit right around then and the
temps spiked up pretty big from about 390° to about 415°. I then of course
over compensated and the temps dropped all the way down to to 375°. The
temp then went up 25° in about 45 seconds ... ugh.
Roast ended at 14:15 with a final temp of 442°. Beans were dumped at 116°
Just thought I'd share this with you folks.
It's about 21.10 Monday evening. Lets see when this email is delivered to
the list members. There was an about 22 hour delay with the last post I
sent. Probably an issue with my service provider.
p.s. of course I now have to log and post the results of a roast where I
actually do a good job following the profile!!