Yesterday I had been contemplating roaster designs to do about 2 pots of
coffee worth, and decided to try that food redrier / coffee reroaster
thing that I got off ebay. It is like a miniature turbo oven, about the
size of a Mr. Coffee. After reading about experiences on the list with
turbo ovens I was not afraid of burning chaff anymore. This thing has
1400 watts, in a more concentrated area, so I figured It may just work
I put in 138 Gr. and turned it on.
Well it swirled the coffee pretty good, but I had to keep resetting the
electronic timer every 2 minutes, that was max. No temperature control
To really mix the beans I had to tip the thing and rotate it.
After about 6 minutes of this the beans had not reached first crack, so
I tried 2 more 2 minute cycles.
The beans were definitely getting hot and increasing in volume but I
could tell they would never get to full city the way I was going.
I dumped them in to my trusty old WBII and they just about filled it!
Well I put the cover over it and tilted it back about 45 degrees, turned
it on and beans were blowing everywhere. First crack happened almost
immediately, the beans were jumping and mixing, I had to put a screen
over the top to keep them in, and there was chaff and smoke a plenty.
Second crack started pretty quick, and I could still hear first, and the
beans were getting oily all at the same time, with lots of smoke. Things
were progressing very quickly. After about 2 minutes of this madness I
dumped them into my cooler and blew off the rest of the chaff with that.
All was not lost, as the coffee I made today with that batch was pretty
smooth. ( go figure ) . With this WBII I definitely have to stick to
smaller batches. Some of the beans did not get cooked, but all things
considered the batch was not that uneven. And it does not taste baked as
I thought it would.
It was definitely a long time coming to first crack though (about 12
minutes!), and then a rush through the rest of the profile.
Living and learning and loving the coffee road, here in LHC,